Cheezzzus Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD Slot and HP support worries

HP ENVY x360 15-cn0755nd

I'm wondering if this specific model has a 'regular' SATA slot that's empty, as other envy x360 15 models have an HDD. I can only  find this product page and this data sheet.

The model is actually not on the support page of HP, but is is sold in my country on this website. I'm worried how this could play out since you have to select your model when trying to reach support...

6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
36413 5461 9378
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes this model comes with a "gumstick" PCIe/NVME M.2 disk but also will have an empty 2.5 inch bay for a SATA hard drive or SSD 7mm thick. 

See pages 27-31 of the Service manual here:

Manual

However, the laptop would not include mounting hardware so in addition to a drive you would need:

(5b) Hard drive rubber sleeve L21894-001 (5c) Hard drive cable L20103-001

It might not be easy to find these parts in some markets so let us know where you live (country)(Netherlands?) and we can see if the parts are available there. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

Cheezzzus Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, I could not find that service manual!

I'm in The Netherlands. As for what I would like to use the slot for: I have a Sandisk 960 GB SSD that I want to use in my next laptop.

Do you think it would be viable to  do such an upgrade?

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
5854 1082 1924
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a support page for your model, here is link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-15-cn0000-x360-convertible-pc/20270292/model/22458177/m...

It should be possible to install a 2.5" hard drive or SSD, however you will need to buy the rubber bracket and hard drive cable:

Hard drive rubber sleeve     part number  L21894-001

Hard drive cable                      part number  L20103-001

These parts are real difficult to find and not yet available in HP parts store.

You can see on page 30 of service manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001789

Here are also HP videos for your model which can help with any upgrade you want to perform.

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/598F89CE-54B4-4A26-8534-FBFDE0DC97F6/gal_frus/gal_fru_frameset-en.h...

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

Cheezzzus Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply!

Bummer that the extra hardware is needed, they are indeed very hard to find, and if found very expensive. Looks like I'll have to look somewhere else with my budget

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
5854 1082 1924
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Huffer

I was wondering if you know if  these zif connectors are someway standardized. I mean the zif connector in that model looks a lot like the zif connector in my loan Envy. Would it be possible to use a cable from a different model (even if longer) to connect a hard drive.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
36413 5461 9378
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The key thing is the number of pins and width. We had someone report here recently that they used a cable from a Dell computer. You can just count the number of leads in the connection end of the zif cable and as long as the cable is the same number of pins and the same width it should work. Problem is you have to have the unit in hand to ascertain this. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation