Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
250 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I would like to upgrade my laptop's HDD to an SSD. 
The laptop is still in warranty. 

If I do this on my own:
1) Will I lose the warranty? (living in the EU) 
2) IF, after a while, something happens with the laptop (let's say the screen stops working) do I need to send it back to warranty repairs with the original HDD? 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

No you do not lose the warranty upgrading the laptop to SSD. And you might want to keep the original hard drive just in case, but if something other than the hard drive goes bad later and is covered, you will not need to put the original hard drive back in for service, 

On that model you do have the option to ADD an SSD to the existing hard drive which would allow you to leave the hard drive in the machine. There is a slot to add a SATA type M.2 SSD.

M.2 slot in circle on the rightM.2 slot in circle on the right

Your Service Manual

Start on p. 39 to remove the bottom cover. 

You need one of these:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SAMSUNG-860-EVO-M-2-500-GB-SSD-intern/332550381333?epid=24013828384&hash=ite...

SATA M.2 SSDSATA M.2 SSD

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your detailed and helpful response. 

I would like to know if you can direct me to any official statement from HP that mentions things about the warranty. Unfortunately, I could not find anything, and e-mailing the support is not an option in my country :-|.

HP Recommended

We at the Forum have struggled for years to get full official documented recognition of the right to upgrade. We have occasionally gotten an acknowledgement to that effect from HP reps. I cannot point you to an official HP document because there is none. Consumer laws in the US, UK, Australia, etc. would come into play but I have no idea what your rights may be in Romania. If you are the timid kind who will accept no risk then perhaps it is best for you to just continue to use the laptop with the slow 5400 rpm hard drive or you can knock yourself out trying to get one of the phone support people to go off script and admit that you can upgrade your laptop as you see fit as long as you do not damage it. Thanks for asking and good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.