Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13 (af012dx) (8th gen Core i7)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having trouble trying to make a DIRECT connection between my HP Spectre 13 laptop (af012dx, 8th-gen Core) to my Samsung Galaxy S8+ smartphone. 

Here is everything I've tried so far:

(1)  I've tried using the HP-provided USB C to USB A dongle & my OEM Samsung cable (Type C to Type A).  Neither Windows 10 nor Android recognizes the connection.

(2)  Used 3 different Type C to Type C Anker cables (Type C with USB 2.0 speed, Type C Gen 1 5Gbps cable, and Type C Gen 2 10Gbps cable).  Both Windows 10 and Android initially recognize each other and make a connection.  The connection is immediately lost.  The connection is made again then lost again.  This cycle goes on indefinitely.

(3) Used a different brand Type C to Type C cable (j5create).  It's a Type C to Type C Gen 2 10Gbps cable.  Same result as Anker.

I don't know why these Type C to Type C cables just won't work.  The cables I've used are all USB-IF certified, reputable brands, and follow the USB Type C spec.

The only method that DID work for me so far is by using a USB Type C Hub.  I connect my HooToo USB Type C hub to the Spectre 13 then I used the Samsung cable (Type C to Type A) to connect  my Galaxy S8+ to the Hub.  With this method, both Windows 10 and Android see each other and a connection is made.

Rather than having to use the Hub all the time, I'd rather just use a single Type C to Type C cable.  

Anyone else have any luck with the new Spectre 13 and a USB Type C phone like the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.