cancel
ITJ Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HELP: My Laptop shuts down at around 30% and makes a weird noise as it does.

Pavilion17-g166nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm simply frustrated. My laptop just goes off unexpectedly(completely shuts down at 30-31%).  No warning, no nothing. It's been almost a year since I bought it; precisely 10 months.  Whenever the shut down occurs I hear this noise I like to call white noise. High pitched and squeaky kind of sound just as it goes off. Like the sound that would occur when you put off those old televesion systems. This has never happened before and I have absolutely no idea why it's happenning. My laptop hasn't been subjected to anything unusual like excess heat or whatever.  I'm being robbed of another 23% of my battery; my laptop usually goes off at like 7 percent. Furthermore, it doesn't actually go off it just goes into a state where I can resume from where it went off. But now, it completely shuts down with this white noise at 30%. Any help??

9 REPLIES 9
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello@ITJ,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

Need assistance in fixing the weird noise and the battery incorrect usage on the PC. Did I get it right?

I was able to find few solutions which I would like to hare with you and request you to try them out and check if that solves the issue.

Perform the BIOS update using the link below and check if that solves the battery issue.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77359.exe

Also, check if the PC overheats or shows any sign of overheating with a Fan error.

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ITJ Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, I have upgraded my BIOS but I haven't gotten a chance to check if the problem has been resolved. I also wanted to point out that, recently, the fan area is much much hotter than normal, so yes. Does that mean that your initial solution would not work due to the overheating situation?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@ITJ,

Thanks for the response.

Are you getting any cooling fan related errors on the PC?

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ITJ Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No nothing like that. It's just the fan area that's hot the whole laptop per se isn't.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@ITJ,

Thanks for the response.

As long as the notebook is working fine without any errors related to overheating, the PC should be fine.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ITJ Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ever since I upgraded the BIOS I've noticed it says plugged in not charging sometimes. Is this a normal thing?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@ITJ,

Thanks for the response.

It should not ideally. You can also try to recover the NIOS back to the previous versions.

Use the link below to know more about it.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ITJ Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This reply is to confirm that my laptop still shuts down at random percentages (this time it was about 53%).  The battery drops at 3% intervals basically every minute. I don't know what's happening really and I'm simply tired of this. But I think the problem might be that I need a new battery even though it's not been up to a year and I bought this laptop with the warranty of my battery giving me no problems for a whole year.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,161 20,780 1,357 2,143
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ITJ,

Thanks for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have followed the steps suggested in the previous post and still the laptop shuts down randomly, don't worry, though, as I have a few other steps which should help to resolve the issue.

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details.

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check it’s a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test results for the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Calibrating the Notebook Battery - HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10) - Click here

Re-install the battery drivers:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

If the issue persists, you will need to either contact HP phone support by clicking here

Or using this link to know about Purchasing a Replacement Battery.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation