Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I recently purchased a crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD and added it in my HP-14fq0022od laptop's empty M.2 slot. It's not being recognized in file explorer, disc management, or in the bios. In fact, the bios doesn't seem to have anything related to storage on this laptop. I also reseated though it appeared to be seated fine.

I am wondering if this type of SSD isn't compatible with my laptop. I used the SSD hardware identification on Crucial's website and it says guaranteed fitment of this SSD. However, when I searched this forum several other similar laptop posts showed that they had similar issues and the answers were saying their laptops weren't compatible. If I go to Crucial's website and search those laptop part numbers, it shows they are just like in my case. 

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem is that in any of the 14-fq0xxx notebooks with the 64 GB eMMC drives, the M.2 slot only supports SATA SSD's, not NVMe.

This info is not mentioned in the service manual, but it is a fact.

There are several other forum members who reported this problem with NVMe SSD's not working.

You will have to return or exchange the NVMe SSD for a SATA one.

Crucial no longer makes SATA M.2 SSD's, so I recommend one of the Western Digital Blue SA510 M.2 SATA SSD's for your notebook, which will work just fine.

This is the 500 GB model for example:

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem is that in any of the 14-fq0xxx notebooks with the 64 GB eMMC drives, the M.2 slot only supports SATA SSD's, not NVMe.

This info is not mentioned in the service manual, but it is a fact.

There are several other forum members who reported this problem with NVMe SSD's not working.

You will have to return or exchange the NVMe SSD for a SATA one.

Crucial no longer makes SATA M.2 SSD's, so I recommend one of the Western Digital Blue SA510 M.2 SATA SSD's for your notebook, which will work just fine.

This is the 500 GB model for example:

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/...

HP Recommended

Thank you, I was able to get a SATA m.2 SSD to work. I then cloned the old HDD to the new SSD using macrium reflect 8. However, there is no boot order option in the bios other than the old HDD. It doesn't even show the SSD despite the fact that the clone drive is available in explorer. I am still able to get into windows with the old HDD still set as the C drive. 

Not sure what to do from here to get the new SSD setup as the boot drive if it's not available in the bios. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Normally if you format the 64 GB eMMC drive and use it for storage, the Windows boot manager will automatically switch to the 500 GB SSD.

See this related discussion...

Solved: Question re HP 14-fq0045nr - HP Support Community - 8376107

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.