Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

If you have the F.64 it's ok. Here in Germany they offer just the F.63 Rev.A. So forget it.
The powercfg-command deletes just the hidden hiberfil.sys and changes the boot and shutdown procedure and will not be confirmed when you excecute that command.
If you use the Acronis Crucial I attached a small "Tutorial" how to run a Backup for your System in the right way. You know already how to run a Recovery. 😀  For the target destination you can create an "ACRONIS" folder on your D-Partition. 

Later it's better to use an external USB-Drive.

But in the Folder Options you have to uncheck "hide file extensions"

2021-12-25_125202.jpg

HP Recommended

Ok. Backup successfully completed and stored in 😧 Partition

Alcon2256_0-1640498213732.png

HP Recommended

OK. Your Backup was successful! But you have to know that a Recovery might be problematic as long as you have "spaces" in the Foldername and the Name of the Backup. The reason is, that the "Recovery" runs in a LINUX-Environment (Busy-Box)!

So change the Folder Name "Back-up Acronis" to "Back-up_Acronis" and "My partitions" to "My_partitions".

Now you can install your Programs: MS-Office, PDF (Adobe or Foxit), 7-Zip, ... You don't need the "Partition Wizard anymore.
When you have done that you can open ACRONIS and "Add Backup" and give the new Backup the name "System-Backup_1" {System-Backup_N} (N= 1,2,...).
Before you run any Backup it's advisable that you run cmd (admin)
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow
Then you are sure that the backup does not contain any system errors.

I execute these 2 commands monthly before I run a Microsoft Update and I never had any problem with Updates!

The last and final step will be the import of the personal user files from the old 128 GB drive. (X:\users\user1\.. and X:\users\user2\)

So login as user1 and navigate to your attached USB-Disk folder X:\users\user1\ and for example select all files in X:\users\user1\Documents and copy them to D:\user1\Documents
Repeat the procedure with the User2 Login.

But remember: User1 on the attached USB-Disk is not the same as User1 on the D-Partition. They have the same name but different SAM-IDs(S-1-5-21-....). (See ProfileList in Registry) In case of trouble you have to change the Security-Permissions on the User1-Folder on the USB-Drive.

That's it and you are ready. A long way but it's worth it. You made a good job and learned the basics!

HP Recommended

OK. I changed the names.

Not sure how to proceed with install, i.e. How do I install the Office, PDF, etc. programs that reside on my 128GB old drive?

HP Recommended

In Message No.25 I see that you have MS-Word, Excel and PowerPoint. You must have downloaded this Office-Package before and you must have received a license key.
Check your "Download" Folder in the old disk. All programs you have installed on the old disk must have been downloaded before. For the Chrome-Browser just use Google. The same with your PDF-Program and the rest.

But why is there a "Users" Folder on your D-Partition? It should not be there!

Did you just change the Drive-Letter from C to D?

HP Recommended

I don't know in what step the User folder showed up in D:,  perhaps message 61? Can it just be deleted?

I have the MS Office 2016 suite but have not been able to find the key and not successful in getting it from MS, that's part of the reason why I did not just do a clean install of the SSD and then reload all the programs, but instead wanted to do a copy from old to new SSD. I have looked in downloads folder but I periodically would empty that folder so it does not show any old downloads.

Is there a way to transfer MS Office from the old 128GB drive to the new 500GB drive?

HP Recommended

Yes, it must have happened in message 61. You must open the folder and check it's contents. 

Which user do you find there?  

If it's user1 (2) you have to login as user1 (2)  RightClick on the Folder, select properties and path and see 3 buttons. 1 should be (Recovery or Undo (the left one)

But never(!) delete the folder because there are hidden files like Appdata, ...

Right now I have no idea if it's possible to transfer a license from the old disk to the new disk

I just bought an Office Professional 2021 some weeks ago for 60 $ during a Black Friday Event.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help. I have learned quite a bit, and feel my system is much better organized.

Best,

Al

HP Recommended

Concerning your question about deleting the "Users" Folder in (D:)

Check for hidden files according this tip-summary:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/6-ways-to-show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/

and only when the folder is empty, you can delete it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.