Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-BS114ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently purchased a second 8 GB RAM to upgrade my Laptop to 16 GB of RAM. The specs are matching and the laptop itself can be upgraded to 16 GB. When I insert the second RAM chip the laptop wont boot anymore. Caps Lock light is blinking. The laptop wont boot either if I only insert the newly purchased RAM but if I put the old chip into the second slot. 

Already tried to remove battery and BIOS battery and checked if maximum RAM was limited in the msconfig settings.

I´ve attached a pic of the my old and the new RAM. I always thought that a chip that bears the identical number will work? 

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards Till

P. S.  #1804 is the old RAM 

#1903 the one I recently purchased.

IMG_1501.jpgIMG_1513.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Those modules are the same and should work together. If installing just the new memory causes the laptop to refuse to POST you have a bad module. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Those modules are the same and should work together. If installing just the new memory causes the laptop to refuse to POST you have a bad module. 

HP Recommended

I thought about it as well, but how likely are those modules to fail actually?

HP Recommended

It happens not frequently but enough to justify ruling it out. Put just the new module in the primary slot. If the computer will not POST its the memory. 

HP Recommended

Thats what I tried already. Just the new module - only get a blinking caps lock and laptop wont even let me go in bios recovery mode. As you said I will purchase another module to rule out a faulty board... Thanks 

HP Recommended

Your were right. Ordered another used one and now its works. Maybe it was due to the fact that the first one didnt come in a shielded bag. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.