Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

HP 15-BS114ng wont boot after RAM upgrade

HP Recommended
HP 15-BS114ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently purchased a second 8 GB RAM to upgrade my Laptop to 16 GB of RAM. The specs are matching and the laptop itself can be upgraded to 16 GB. When I insert the second RAM chip the laptop wont boot anymore. Caps Lock light is blinking. The laptop wont boot either if I only insert the newly purchased RAM but if I put the old chip into the second slot. 

Already tried to remove battery and BIOS battery and checked if maximum RAM was limited in the msconfig settings.

I´ve attached a pic of the my old and the new RAM. I always thought that a chip that bears the identical number will work? 

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards Till

P. S.  #1804 is the old RAM 

#1903 the one I recently purchased.

IMG_1501.jpgIMG_1513.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Level 17
Level 17
43,983 43,769 7,023 12,381
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Those modules are the same and should work together. If installing just the new memory causes the laptop to refuse to POST you have a bad module. 

Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought about it as well, but how likely are those modules to fail actually?

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
43,983 43,769 7,023 12,381
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It happens not frequently but enough to justify ruling it out. Put just the new module in the primary slot. If the computer will not POST its the memory. 

Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thats what I tried already. Just the new module - only get a blinking caps lock and laptop wont even let me go in bios recovery mode. As you said I will purchase another module to rule out a faulty board... Thanks 

0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your were right. Ordered another used one and now its works. Maybe it was due to the fact that the first one didnt come in a shielded bag. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation