Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-DB0005DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good Morning, I have a HP 15-DB0005DX and I am running out of space on the 128 gb Hard drive (L20381-001). I have a Samsung 850 EVO from my old laptop that I already cloned the HD to and would like to install it. I found the manual here and took it apart (I've taken many  apart before) and there is a slot for it but I do not see anyway to connect it. I did not realize the OEM HD was a diff type. How/what do I do to upgrade this HD. Also when I put it back together it will only start when plugged in to AC. Nothing happens with just the battery. When I plug it in it says cmos sum is invalid, check the bios. Thanks, Mike

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

The battery seems not to be attached correctly to the notebook, or it is no longer working. That is why you are getting the error at boot. You can try reattaching the battery and see if it works. Look and see if there are any problems on the motherboard. On page 41 of service manual you can see how the battery is installed correctly.

You can add a 2.5" SSD or HDD, however you will need to purchase.

Hard drive bracket      part number L20455-001

Hard drive connector board    part number L20454-001

The parts might be difficult to find, however you can try an online search.

You could also just upgrade the M2 SSD to a much higher capacity M2 SSD. There is no limit to capacity.You could even use a faster M2 PCIe NVMe SSD which would also give a boost to performance.

Service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06245081

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thanks, So I can install my EVO as a second hd to boot or switch back and forth from. When I opened her up I was confused, at first I saw the empty slot where I could install the EVO and thought I was loosing my mind because I thought there wasn't a hd installed, lol. How does the EVO compare to my oem hd (L20381-001). What kind of performance increase could I expect with a M2 PCIe NVMe SSD. I'm not a gamer or anything and trying to get the fastest is a never ending dream. I'm trying to decide what would make more sense money wise and performance wise. Any idea about the battery problem. I'm guessing when I removed the battery it changed something in the bios? Thanks, Mike

HP Recommended

Sorry, I forgot to say, I have tried reinstalling the battery several times. I have come across this problem before on other laptops and reinstalling it fixed it, but I never got the cmos message before. Thanks, Mike

HP Recommended

Well after researching  some I updates my bios and now the ;laptop starts again on battery so all is good in that respect. I've researched the cable and bracket to install the Samsung EVO sshd. Now I just need to find out what would be best, install the EVO--buy a new bigger sshd to replace the OEM one or both. I need to find out what would benefit me most performance wise and weigh the cost both ways. By the way my AVG tuneup now says I'm at 93% which is way higher than it's been in a long time.

Thanks, Mike

HP Recommended

I found the 2 parts 

Hard drive bracket      part number L20455-001

Hard drive connector board    part number L20454-001

from Impact Computers. Now I need the cable that goes from the connector board to the motherboard. I thought it would have come with the connector board but it didn't. Where can I find the cable and what would the number for it be? Why does every time I take the ;laptop apart and remove the battery and put it back together again it will not start on the battery without downloading a new bios? When I try to start it on a/c it says checksum error and defaults to the original bios. Thanks again, Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.