Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 Pavilion cw1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The machine (HP 15 cw1511sa) came with a 256GB WD M.2 SATA SSD. In theory (ie according to the Crucial website) I should be able to replace this with a faster and bigger SSD (ie the Crucial P5 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD). I've checked the HP service manual and this seems to support that. However, a 1TB P5 is a bit expensive and I'd rather hear from people who've actually done that successfully or from those in the know about these things.

Also there are always two sides to these upgrades... hardware support and software. This is a dual-boot machine with Debian (buster) as main and Win10 rarely. I am pretty sure buster will be fine... but Windows... will it support this OOTB or will I need to install a driver beforehand?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. CP

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you can install an M2 PCIe NVMe SSD of your preferred brand and capacity. There is no limit to capacity, the ones mentioned in the service manual are ones certain models in that series could have been bought with.

The double OS should be fine. Are you doing a clean install, otherwise you might need and external adapter to clone the M2 SATA ssd

Ex

https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-Enclosure-External-Based/dp/B07MKCG5ZG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywo...

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back, appreciated. Have you actually done this on that specific model or how do you know?

Yeah, I'm planning to move the two OS. The plan is to image the OS partitions onto an external SSD, then to install the new SSD, partition it while booted from that external SSD and write the images back. Have done that a few times with SATA SSDs and I assume the drill is the same for this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.