Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cw0509sa
Unknown

The fan on this laptop unfortunately makes a high-pitched tone that rises and falls with fan speed which I want to stop. My question is whether this is the fault of the component in general/all these laptops, or whether buying a replacement fan would fix it (assuming the replacement is okay)?

Thanks for any assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @0000-Paul,

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Before purchasing the replacement fan try the steps recommended below.

Try updating BIOS to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Try restoring the BIOS to default.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Check if allow this device to wake the computer is checked in Device Manager.

a. Click Start, type Device manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
b. Select keyboard, it will display your keyboard, right click and select ‘Properties’.
c. Select the ‘Power management’ tab.
d. Check the “Allow this device to wake the computer” check box.
e. Repeat these steps for Mouse and Network adapters as well.

To properly ventilate the computer, allow at least 7.6 cm (3 in) of clearance on the left side
of the computer. The computer uses an electric fan for ventilation. The fan is controlled by a temperature
sensor and is designed to turn on automatically when high-temperature conditions exist. These conditions
are affected by high external temperatures, system power consumption, power management/battery
conservation configurations, battery fast charging, and software requirements. Exhaust air is displaced
through the ventilation grill located on the left side of the computer.

Lastly, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Refer this article to know more information about cooling fan issues. Click Here

Note: All the steps suggested in the article are crucial. Please try all the steps suggested in the document to isolate the issue.

Hope to this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tried all of that and unfortunately the fan is still making the hardware noise.

We have another HP laptop, a 14-cm0xxx, which does not exhibit this issue - is it the same fan?

HP Recommended

Hi! @0000-Paul,

Thanks for the update.

It certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.