Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 255 G8 (45M81ES)
Microsoft Windows 11

HP 255 G8. Ryzen 5 5500U.
During performance tests, the laptop turned off. After turning it on there was a black screen. Hold the start button for 10 seconds with the power off. Connected the power - started from the button. Everything seems to be ok, the system works. After a manual reboot, the laptop starts again with a black screen (
The second time it did not help to hold the button. I pressed the keys, I saw that when the Caps lock was pressed, the indicator was lit. When the volume is reduced to 0, the indicator also lights up. The system is most likely running.
Tried to switch modes Win + P - gives nothing. I tried to connect a second monitor via HDMI - I switch to it, similarly a black screen. Tried to update bios from flash drive. I heard how the laptop rebooted 3 times with the maximum cooler speed. The screen still won't turn on.

What could be the problem?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

For troubleshooting and to isolate the issue, use an HDMI cable to connect an LCD display to the notebook.

If the LCD display  does not show a normal Window login screen, you have likely damaged the notebook with the performance tests.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I don't know how it was possible to damage the laptop during the tests. I connected the monitor via HDMI. I had an application installed for remote control of the laptop. I tried and connected to it! Windows worked as it should, only there would be no "monitors" in the device manager. I took and uninstalled the video adapter driver through the manager. And the HDMI image began to be output! The laptop display was black. But after the next reboot, Windows installed some driver for the video adapter and the HDMI image disappeared again. So I tried several times. And in general, before the first such disconnection of the image, there was a window about restoring the BIOS memory. I even tried updating the BIOS from a flash drive with a black screen - it didn't help. I also updated the BIOS using remote access from the OS itself - there is no result. 

Could it be that the BIOS "flew" and because of this now there is no image output?

HP Recommended

Yes. You can damage the notebook with a stress test. You called it a performance test, but it does stress the notebook's electronic components.

You didn't share any information about getting a message about the BIOS. 

What was the specific error message that you saw?

If you can see a normal Windows display with the LCD connected with an HDMI cable the BIOS is not corrupt.

It does mean that the display subsystem of the notebook has issues. 

Now it is time to use the HP Hardware Diagnostics. Connect the LCD display and press the notebook's power butt0n and immediately tap the F2 key. That will invoke the HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility.

Run the system and the component tests ( Display specifically) to see which error messages you get.

Write the codes down and share them in your next post to the thread.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The BIOS message was something like this: there were two options, clear the CMOS memory or reboot the system. I tried to reboot and the OS started once.

(even during this, the indicator was flashing on the Caps 5-3.  BIOS problems.  Now nothing like that, the system boots as it should, only without displaying the image...)

At the expense of HP's built-in diagnostics, I can't see it, since I was only able to output the image via HDMI from Windows itself. When reloading, the image is not displayed anywhere.

Perhaps these are unrelated reasons. At first, the bios crashed, after which it was successfully restored and the system started. But already after the next reboot, something else happened, which does not allow displaying the image on the screen. It is only interesting that the image appeared (HDMI) after removing the AMD Graphics driver.

But it disappears when rebooting, as Windows returns the driver back.

HP Recommended

You can download the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility to a USB flash drive and use it as a stand alone utility.  

You should be able to restore the BIOS from there.

The reason I state the tests were stress tests was because I saw your other thread where you said that. Any time one does stress tests to a PC there is a risk that components will fail.

I suggest using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility to test the display components as well as running a full system test.

HP Recommended

I agree, probably, stress tests and a laptop are not a very good idea (.

I would gladly use PC Hardware Diagnostics, but I can't display an image on the display (also external) when booting the laptop.

HP Recommended

A failure of both internal and external graphics is not a good sign. That indicates a system board issue.

Have you tried holding down the Windows key + B key until the notebook reacts? 

That is a BIOS recovery method.

Sometimes it will take a minute or two to work.

What exactly is your notebook doing  now when you press the power button?  Any leds lighting up or flashing in a sequence?

HP Recommended

window+b was pressed when turning on. I hear that he spins the cooler to maximum speed three times. I think it's a reboot and it successfully restored the bios.

Now it turns on without any problems, except for a black monitor. When the OS has already loaded, then it is possible to display the image on an external monitor via HDMI (I decided to connect to another monitor and the image appeared)). The startup screen and bios are not displayed via HDMI. I reinstalled the drivers, reset the system to default - nothing helped.

HP Recommended

How about trying the following.

Start the notebook and then connect the external display and log in.

Install the AMD graphics driver (for Windows 11) for your notebook and then restart the notebook without the external display.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp140501-141000/sp140534.exe

The driver is from the driver support web document for your specific notebook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-255-g8-notebook-pc/38151405/model/2100627055

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.