4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 455 G2 synaptics touchpad is a mess now

HP ProBook 455 G2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone,

I do not usually use forums and other kinds of helps, but guys, this is hilarious.
Or... it would be hilarious if happened to another person, yeah.

basic data --

Probook 455 G2
Windows 8.1 64-bit
(McAfee IS)

So, my Synaptics touchpad started behaving in an odd way yesterday.

That is: it works fine at startup, but the tapping surface stops reacting after a few seconds - sometimes after a few minutes. What remains is even more strange: the two buttons remain operational, and the bottom approx. 10% of the surface reacts to right and left movements, while the upper 90% zooms in and out whatever is on the screen... WHOA? And sometimes it goes back working for no obvious reasons. Before stopping again.
Next: If I close the lid and open after a few sec, the wake-up process starts and the touchpad works fine until... go to 10.
And it is not over: the tapping surface works fine IF I KEEP ONE OR BOTH BUTTONS PRESSED. ?? 🙂 naturally this is not a "solution" as all side effects of a pressed mouse button occur. But the pointer moves, yeah. Umm. [UPDATE: this later phenomenon was a seemingly software-related sticky Ctrl issue that stopped occurring]

HP Syn help 01.JPG

What I did this far:
1. Driver check: driver uninstall -> reboot -> reinstall (no newer version offered, so the same) -> reboot -> no effect, same symptoms;
2. Windows System Restore to a mere 5 days earlier stage: everything worked fine! but then McAfee vulnerability scanner reinstalled all the Windows Updates and now the situation is even worse than before.
I do not say some of the latest KBs cause this anomaly for sure, but well, is there a chance?

Any help welcome!

Thanks & cheers,
AB.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So bad noone is able to answer this question. 😞
Update:

- touchpad always starts ok when ProBook is switched on, but halts after an indeterminable (that is always changing) time;

- I am unable to determine the trigger - I do not know what (later starting background process and/or clash of processes??) causes this behaviour;

- when operable it is like trying to drive a waterbed in the Monaco Grand Prix - lags and slides;
- when stops the bottom 10% of the touchpad reflects to left/right impulses and the buttons work well;
- quite often is starts again if I move a plug-in mouse and switch back to touchpad after a minute or so - but NOT always;

- had a "sticky Ctrl" issue earlier (had loads of fun...)- this is NOT the same;

- if the touchpad is stuck with no signs of life I switch off Synaptics processes from Task Manager - I gain a very strange touchpad without the extras of Synaptics and Shaking Like Hell. WOA? but it works for people with lots of patience.

I think this is a challenging issue, so dear Hardcore Hardware Magicians - HELP ME!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's been a month and not a single answer from anywhere.
Lucky you!

My touchpad is still a piece of... garbage.
Any idea??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HPbymistake

I work for a company that has had similar issues on 5 of our machines (all 455 G2s).

We've contacted HP support and they have come out and replaced the touchpads every time but doesn't resolve the issue

I'd suggest checking out these articles 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04710932&jumpid=em_alerts_us-us_Jun15_xbu_a...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0113419

They're for previous models but seem to be the same issue and have a resolution posted. We will be trying it out

Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Hanbal  and  HP by mistake,

My touchpad still works, but after upgrade to Win 10 the fingerprint scanner no longer functions (it is "installed" and Win says all OK, but Win cannot see or use it to log in, etc...

Baffled...

Any suggestions, please?

Ax

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation