Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 8370W
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good afternoon.

I have 2 HP 8370w's which I have had a long time. These are my favourite notebooks, despite that I have a few others, these two are my workhorses, or used to be. My problem is that they both run VERY hot.

I prefer a laptop to be able to sit on my lap, but if I want to do that, then I have to have a working laptop fan/cooler underneath it to try to mitigate the heat that these two both give off. I am aware they are older machines, but they are so well made and so useful with great keyboards that they are both favourites of mine, and in truth I bought two originally in case one went belly up and so far so good.

Which leads me to my question. I used to use them on a desk where they'd never move so the heat problem was never really noticeable, but now that I do not do that any more and now I use them on my lap it's kind of irritating as now I have to have a fan underneath them which is powered from a USB port and as the laptop is already heavy, this just makes it more irritating.

I know I should replace them, but...

So I guess my question is. How hot are they supposed to run? I am going to take one apart this weekend some time and clean the heat/vent fan, and maybe replace thermal paste on the graphics card and cpu, but I don't know if this will really help much if the unit is always going to run super hot.

This question is sort of silly as before when it was on a desk I never noticed the heat issue, but now it's not...

So if anyone has any ideas I am looking for input and thoughts. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You already plan to do what I would suggest. I'm sure you already have it but pp. 61-69 show how to remove fan, video card heatsinks. Blow everything out, use a Q-tip with a bit of alcohol on the fan blades and around the heatsink. Use high quality thermal compound applied sparingly. The laptop is well over 10 years old and the dust and crud builds up slowly. A good cleaning is very likely to reduce the operating temperature significantly. Good luck. 

Manual 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.