Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like the title says, my HP keyboard's backlight is causing some trouble. Frequently, the backlight turns on without me interacting with the F5 button, what do I do? I am running my latest BIOS, running Windows 10 and all my drivers, etc are up to date, I can rule out it being a software issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Thatoneguy3 What I meant is, your device needs to be repaired, the faulty part could be identified by a tech who would open the device and look for the faulty part before replacing it, if you are within the warranty, the services would be free of charge, if not, we may need to look for alternate options, such as replacing the keyboard or the motherboard (depending on what the failed part is), I personally suggest checking with a local tech to identify the faulty part and then replacing it via the HP Parts Store: Click here for details.

For alternative options, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from and we'll proceed accordingly.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Thatoneguy3 Welcome to HP Forums Community!

I suggest you reinstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager if the issue persists after a restart,

I recommend you update the Chipset drivers from the HP website as it controls the keyboard I/o devices, restart the PC again and check if it works.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This was the first thing I did. It doesn't work. As I said in my previous message all my drivers are up to date.

HP Recommended

@Thatoneguy3 Usually, reinstalling the drivers and then updating it, does the trick, since you've done the same and yet the issue persists, It seems like a hardware malfunction, as its an intermittent failure, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Thatoneguy3Usually, reinstalling the drivers and then updating it, does the trick, since you've done the same and yet the issue persists, It seems like a hardware malfunction, as its an intermittent failure, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Is there no way you could tell me what the problem is on here? 

HP Recommended

@Thatoneguy3 The keyboard backlit requires a replacement, more diagnosis could be required to identify exactly what requires a replacement, to help you further I'd like to know if your device is under warranty? If not, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, here's how private messages work: Click here

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My device is no longer under warranty. How do I idenitfy the problem?

HP Recommended

@Thatoneguy3 What I meant is, your device needs to be repaired, the faulty part could be identified by a tech who would open the device and look for the faulty part before replacing it, if you are within the warranty, the services would be free of charge, if not, we may need to look for alternate options, such as replacing the keyboard or the motherboard (depending on what the failed part is), I personally suggest checking with a local tech to identify the faulty part and then replacing it via the HP Parts Store: Click here for details.

For alternative options, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from and we'll proceed accordingly.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I live in the UK, my laptop number is 15-u000na

HP Recommended

@Thatoneguy3 I appreciate the details, I've looked up the model name, I've identified the product number: M1N37EA, and I suggest you either talk to HP to get the device repaired or get in touch with a local tech as advised before, as I don't have any alternate options as of now, considering this is a hardware issue.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.