Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6 -2016tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

Greetings of the day!

I have a HP Pavilion g6 -2016tx laptop. It's been 7 years I have been using it. From the past one year, I am getting this message whenever I start it:

HP Battery Alert
The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low. For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced.
Primary (internal) Battery (601)
ENTER - Continue Startup
For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I was ignoring this message for past one year. Now I need some information on it. Please tell me:
1) What would happen if I don't replace my battery and continue using my laptop plugged in to charging all the time?
2) Is it going to effect  motherboard or any other component if I don't change my battery?
3) Is there a risk of explosion of battery?

In short please tell me that is it absolutely mandatory to replace my battery or not?

I would be highly thankful to you.

P.S.: When I am not charging, my laptop's battery drains within 10 minutes.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ankit94 

Battery has failed.

Battery will not likely explode.

Unless it leaks / shorts / or otherwise becomes suddenly unstable, dead-ish battery won't harm motherboard.

Found on your computer's Website Support:

Alert
AC Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement Program
View article

Information
Expansion of HP Battery Safety Recall Program

View details

Do either of these affect you?

Unknown - View the article / details to find more information...

Answer

Given that you already run the computer with an essentially dead battery inside it, it is my opinion that it is not absolutely mandatory that you replace the battery on your seven year old computer.

That answer assumes nothing else is going on and that the battery remains stable (sits there and behaves without developing new problems).

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Pavilion g6-2016tx Notebook PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Regards

Ankit Arora

HP Recommended

@Ankit94 

You are welcome.

Sometimes the answer is "it depends on what you need / want".

Smiling.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.