Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook Model 14-xo13dx
Chrome OS

I had a problem with my HP Chromebook's keys intermittently not working--the y, m, n, etc.  They would work, then not work, and it was very frustrating esp to log in b/c I could not get my password typed in.

I thought I would need a new keyboard, but my wonderful ex husband thought we should try clean and reseat the keyboard connector to the motherboard.  The top panel assembly was removed (after removing the bottom case screws)..

----see http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Chromebook-14-x000/7277301/model/7547744/product-info?lang=en...

HE cleaned the keyboard connector with isopropyl alcohol, and re-connected that connector and it worked.

This may not work for everyone, but try this b/f you buy a new keyboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

thank you so much.  The first solution I posed was very temporary----my chromebook was still under warrenty so I was able to send it back.  My husband did the first fix but didn't think it would take and it did not.

So if this ever happens again I will use this solution.  you are a genius, thanks so much!!!!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Hi @pampolk ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

Thanks for sharing what worked for you and your HP Chromebook and keyboard not functioning correctly.

Have a great week.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

There appears to be a design issue with the internal layout of the 14" HP Chromebook.

The keyboard is connected to the main board via two ribbon cables: one broad, one slim. Both cables are folded into a 'Z' shape. The issue appears to be with the broader of the two cables.

As the cable leaves the keyboard unit it is folded almost immediately (the folds are clearly marked). The second fold in the cable is about 4" (from memory) further down the cable - it is this fold which is causing the keyboard to fail.

Towards the front of the keyboard, in the palmrest area, there are two metal brace pieces (one on each side). These are flat pieces of metal which have slightly turned edges to increase rigidity. One of the turned edges of this brace is interfering with the second fold on the cable. On a keyboard which has this issue, you can see that the fold in the cable is creased slightly more where the edge of the brace piece has squeezed it. You can replicate the issue with the keyboard by *gently* squeezing the cable at this point. This impacted keys 6, 7, y, u, h, j, n, m on my Chromebook.

My solution has been to move the fold of the cable away from this brace. By *very gently* re-folding the cable about 2" away from it's exit point on the keyboard unit (gently rubbing the cable with the back of your nail is enough) and securing the cable to the keyboard unit with electrical tape, the second fold will be away from the brace causing the problem. Possibly overkill, but I've also (carefully) removed the metal brace (simple to do, just scratch off the top of the plastic welds holding it in place) as the brace was already loose and is so flimsy it's unlikely to be providing much by way of support. However, re-folding the cable in the right place should remove the requirement to do this.

Caveat: my Chromebook was out of warranty so I was happy carrying this fix out.

HP Recommended

thank you so much.  The first solution I posed was very temporary----my chromebook was still under warrenty so I was able to send it back.  My husband did the first fix but didn't think it would take and it did not.

So if this ever happens again I will use this solution.  you are a genius, thanks so much!!!!

HP Recommended
I wish the solution to my KB problem was that simple (to solve, that is - it's a nice bit of diagnosis!). HP seem not to be too good on keyboards.... I have a pavilion 15 n laptop with a very weird problem - random keys scattered about the KB just don't work. No damage to the cable (which lies flat), I've changed the KB to no avail, symptoms the same as before - I'll try updating drivers but it's a mystery to me and I've had no reply from HP - there are quite a few others suffering mystery KB issues. My laptop is under 2 years old and is useless. Nice to hear you solved your problem at least!
KC
HP Recommended

So, bit of an update with pictures.

This is the back of the keyboard unit showing the second fold in the cable and how the cable looks slightly pinched where it meets the edge of the metal brace:

IMG_20151017_114155891~2.jpg

The issue is exacerbated as this is under the left-hand palm rest. As you use the keyboard you're pressing the edge of the metal brace into the ribbon cable...

This is my fix. You can see the two black lines on the cable where the original folds were, with the new fold just below the grey electrical tape (I've moved the barcode sticker off the ribbon cable). Just to point out, I didn't make a second fold in the cable, just let the cable find it's own way.

IMG_20151017_121119600.jpg

So far, working fine.

HP Recommended

Very unhappy with this problem.  Bought HP because I wanted quality for my daughter to do her school work.  A little tougher than expected to get machine apart. Found HP doc explaining how. You basically have to remove everything rubber to get at the screws you can't see. And also power off laptop with laptop open for safety. 

However, this fix works!  Mine didn't have the brace, just a piece of tape. I added a small piece of cardboard under the ribbon cable on the edge that caused the problem.  I did everything else the same. 

Daughter said it made the feel of the touchpad different. It's a little stiffer, probably because of the different bends and the cable extending closer to the touchpad itself. But the keys all work perfectly. 

Good work from whoever figured this out. 

Jeff Borders

HP Recommended

My machine has this issue but should be still under warranty - I purchased it in the UK in April this year. Equally unhappy that it has this issue as otherwise it is an excellent machine.

So I am not prepared to try and open the back of the machine to fix it myself but want an HP repair. I have tried today to raise a ticket via the support website; so far no email yet received confirming my ticket and I cannot see it from my account login.

This is not very satisfactory!

HP Recommended

I have 14-x010wm and keys 6 7 y u h j n m  are not functioning I think this is a factory hardware issue and will continue to recure even after fixed. Mine is a refurbished and it happened again!

HP Recommended

Hi there I was going to try this method, i have undon the screws but im having trouble getting the back case off has anybody else had this problem if so is there a simple way to do it because I feel like I'm going to break it otherwise?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.