05-20-2011 12:32 PM
I need to replace the HD which is 320gb. Can I use a 500gb and If I install a second HD, what do I need to do in the bios for win7 to see it. I already tried a smaller HD but when I added a second one, the computer wouldn't boot. Thanks.
05-20-2011 01:02 PM
I'm not sure about the specifics of the laptop but the hard drive upgrade should be pretty straightforward. I assume that you have a 500GB SATA drive to go into it, what you need to remember is that there is no filesystem on the disk when you install it.
The first thing you have to do is install windows, as this will format the drive during the installation process. You ask about installing a second drive - does the laptop have room or a second drive or are you making reference to the new drive? The new drive should be visible in the BIOS straight away.
The smaller drive you added - did the comptuer get past BIOS or did it just freeze up?
05-20-2011 07:01 PM
Yea, the smaller drive worked fine and I installed windows. There is room for a second drive but when I installed another smaller drive in it, the system frooze on startup. That's why I was wondering what I need to do in the bios.
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot