Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP ENVY 15 X360 L0N30EA battery issue

HP ENVY 15 X360 L0N30EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Several days ago my HP Envy x360 15 laptop battery started performing strangely - 100% charge lasts only for less than 25 min. and I started getting the HP error message (601) when starting the computer. The interesting thing is that this issue lasted for one day and then it disappeared (I did not do anything) - on the next day the battery performed as usual (around 5 hours on 100% charge). However, a day later the same issued occurred again and I have had it ever since. I keep getting that error message (601), but only when the laptop is not charging. I have installed several battery monitoring programs and I saw one interesting thing - when I connect the charging cable all those applications display correct designed and fully charged battery capacity, but as soon as I unplug the charging cable the designed and fully charged battery capacity shrinks nearly ten times (from around 38,000 to 3,680 mWh). The same thing happens with HP battery testing application - when plugged and charging, the application says the battery is ok and does not need to be replaced, but when I unplug the cable and run the battery test one more time it says that the battery needs to be replaced due to natural loss of capacity. The HP application shows that the battery has only been through around 170 charge cycles, so I presume this is no ordinary battery degradation issue. I tried manually calibrating the battery, reinstalling battery drivers, restoring OS to previous date, but nothing worked.

Can someone tell me what is happening with the battery? Is it dead? Or is it Windows 10 issue (had some updates a day before the issue started). I really like using this laptop, but it is a shame I encountered such issue so soon (after six months of usage), hope this is not some serious hardware issue. One more observation - the charger brick now (since the issue has begun) seems to be quite cool while charging the laptop, but earlier I remember the brick was getting really hot when charging.

4 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

H i@Darius091,

Welcome to the HP Forum! I am pleased that you have become a HP Forum member. It is such a wonderful site to find answers and tips. Here is a link to guide you to having the most rewarding experience and answer any concerns about posting: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you are experiencing an issue with the battery on your Envy x360 15-u202na. When you connect the charging cable all the battery applications display correct design and fully charged battery capacity, but as soon as you unplug the charging cable the design and fully charged battery capacity shrinks nearly ten times (from around 38,000 to 3,680 mWh). The same thing happens with the HP battery testing application. When plugged in and charging, the application says the battery is OK and does not need to be replaced, but when you unplug the cable and run the battery test once more it says that the battery needs to be replaced due to natural loss of capacity. The HP application shows that the battery has only been through around 170 charge cycles, so you presume that this is not  an ordinary battery degradation issue. You tried manually calibrating the battery, reinstalling battery drivers, and restoring OS to previous date, but there was no change. You also noted that the power brick previously would be warm  when charging but now remains cool. 

Are you connecting directly to an electrical outlet or are you using a power / surge bar?  To rule out the adapter as being an issue here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Using the AC Power Adapter

Here is another link to assist you with testing the battery again and doing a calibration.  HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10).   If the battery passes the hardware check there is one more option to try. The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery is basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. There is a chance that it is corrupted and is reading the battery level wrong.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager.
Step 2. Select Batteries.
Step 3. Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 4. Click Uninstall.
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver.
Step 6. Shutdown the computer.

Step 7: Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in.

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager.
Step 9. Select " Batteries".
Step 10. Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software".

If the issue should remain, please contact HP Support for further assistance. The battery warranty is separate from the notebook. With your permission, they can remotely connect to your system to help determine any issues.  Contact HP Support

Please let me know the outcome.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

Darius091 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

Thanks for these tips. I have always used AC power adapter with a power bar to charge the laptop, did not encounter any issues with that (and a different laptop). When the battery issue occurred, I tried to charge the computer directly from a power outlet, but that did not help.

As advised, I used HP Hardware Diagnostics to check the AC adapter and the battery. The test showed that the AC adapter is working fine, but the battery is very weak (around 300 mAh out of 3,890 mAh can be used). I presume the battery is bad after all, though I do not understand the cause and why it happened so suddenly. It is such a coincidence that the battery failed after less than one month since the warranty covering the battery expired.

I also tried uninstalling battery drivers multiple times as instructed (skipping the part where I have to take out the battery as the battery is non-user removable and I still have 1.5 years of laptop warranty remaining). This did not help either.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

HI @Darius091,

Thank you for the update. As the UEFI tests showed the battery is weak and it is non removeable, please contact  HP support for further assistance as you have warranty. Contact HP Support  Fill out the online form and follow the prompts.

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
LaptopUser44 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

I have experienced exacly the same failure mode and symptoms.  I went online this summer to buy a new battery and as soon as it arrived my computer started behaving 'normally' again.  That was in July.  Since then I have deferred putting in the new battery  without problem.  Last week it all started again so I am going to do the swap and see if it fixes the problem.  Wish me luck.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation