Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade our current HDD to SDD. I was trying to figure out if this is possible with my laptop.

We have an Envy 15t-ae100 with:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz processor

Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 ( version 20.19.15.4360 (12/21/2015)) graphic card - graphic memory = 4,142 MB.

If this is possible, do I have to have the same size drive? We are currently using 164GB of 1TB. I would like to get M.2 SSD 500gb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, as you can see the slot is missing. You will not be able to install an M2 SSD. However you can replace the 2.5" mechanical drive with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the 2.5" Samsung 860Evo or similar. It will give a great everyday performance boost to the PC.

On page 55 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the drive.

M2 missing slotM2 missing slotLet me know if you need further help,

David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, you need to check if there is an M2 slot on motherboard, as the service manual only mentions the M2 SSD with notebooks with i7 processor and 4GB discrete graphics card , you say you have Intel integrated graphics.

On page 35 of service manual you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover to take a look:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04691689

M2 slotM2 slotIf the slot is present you can install an M2 SATA3 drive such as the M2 Samsung 860evo.

If the slot is not present you can replace the 1TB mechanical drive with a 2.5" SSD.

The SSD does not need to be the same size. You can use migration software to migrate an image of the space you are actually using on the old drive.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

It appears that it doesnt have that slot.

SPS # on motherboard is: 829901-601image.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, as you can see the slot is missing. You will not be able to install an M2 SSD. However you can replace the 2.5" mechanical drive with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the 2.5" Samsung 860Evo or similar. It will give a great everyday performance boost to the PC.

On page 55 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the drive.

M2 missing slotM2 missing slotLet me know if you need further help,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks all!! Ordered new SSD drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.