Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 (cg0000nn)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 17 laptop with the standard 8GB (2x4GB) memory.  I want to upgrade to at least 16GB memory, and seeing that 32GB DDR4-3200 kits (2x16GB) are available would consider that if it's supported.

Has anybody successfully upgraded this model to 32GB?  If so, can you recommend some specific memory part #s? (any reputable brand is fine with me - I've never developed a brand loyalty to any manufacturer).

Thanks in advance!

BrandX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Crucial 2x16GB kit (CT2K16G4SFD832A) just arrived.  (The Amazon order didn't pan out, but I found it at a local etailer for a similar price).  Installed it, and everything seems to be working great!  No problems recognizing the memory. All 32GB visible.  In fact, comparing UserBenchmark scores from the stock 8GB to the new 32GB, RAM performance went from the 78th percentile to the 99th.

I'm happy!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@BrandonXavier I'm afraid this device doesn't have upgradeable memory as per the HP Maintenance and service guide designed for you device: click here to verify,

or view the below image:

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for taking time to reply.

I had previously looked at the manual you linked and screenshotted.  Unfortunately, in regards to memory, it is not particularly trustworthy:

• Yes, on page 1 (screenshot) it states the memory is not accessible or upgradable, but on page 37 the exact procedure for accessing and replacing the memory is given. 
  • Cracking open my case and looking shows that page 37 is more accurate than page 1.
  • Page 1 mentions DDR4-2400 memory is supported, but the unit ships with DDR4-3200 (OK, given the 100s of SKUs for the Envy 17 you can have a pass on this one)
  • Page 1 also mentions a configuration of 2x8GB+1x16GB.  Um, that adds up to 3 modules which, barring the use of duct tape, would be difficult to install into a 2 module motherboad.

Anyway, I got a little impatient and went ahead and pre-ordered the Crucial 2x16GB kit (scheduled to start shipping 8/5/2020).  Side note: most of the 32GB kits I saw advertised as of late July 2020 were either pre-release or very limited in availability.  I'll report back when it arrives (I live in Europe and ordered from US so it'll take a few days).

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@BrandonXavier I get what you mean, and the details on replacing the memory is for your ease if you wish to indulge on the same, though it's not recommended by HP, the instructions are available, however, the intent to upgrade will be at your own discretion.

That said, take your time and do let us know how that pans out, or if you need anything else, as well.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The Crucial 2x16GB kit (CT2K16G4SFD832A) just arrived.  (The Amazon order didn't pan out, but I found it at a local etailer for a similar price).  Installed it, and everything seems to be working great!  No problems recognizing the memory. All 32GB visible.  In fact, comparing UserBenchmark scores from the stock 8GB to the new 32GB, RAM performance went from the 78th percentile to the 99th.

I'm happy!

HP Recommended

@BrandonXavier

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@BrandonXavier

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.