Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j160nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The left hinge has come adrift and is causing the case to bulge.

The laptop is no longer under warranty however this seems to be a very common fault (found after doing some searching)

This is my third HP laptop and the first one to give me any trouble at all, so i was unprepared for this problem to present itself.

Is there anything that HP can do, considering how prevelant the issue seems to be?

Thanx,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Got my lappy back today and it's all fixed.

My only concern is that the hinges still seem a bit too tight, wondering if the problem will re-cur as a result. I guess only time will tell.

A big thank you to HP Support though, everything went as promised and with very little fuss.

Communication was also excellent.

Regards,

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended
Hello ,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please allow up to 48-72 hours for a response from one of our HP Agents. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you have already resolved your matters, please disregard this message. 

Thank you 
Duane_D
I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

Just an update, Had a message from Jeff asking for further info, to which I have replied.

Took a bit longer than the 72 hours, but at least it did happen - thank you.

I will continue to update and post the results as they happen.

Cheers,

HP Recommended

Further update, Had another message efrom Jeff to say he is passing my info on to HP in my region (Australia).

Cheers,

HP Recommended

Just had a call form HP South Pacific Customer Relations -

Asked for Pictures of the damage and promised to have a decision by Wednesday.

Well done HP and thank you.

HP Recommended

Well it's mid morning Adelaide time and I have just received a call from the service centre and they have agreed to make an exception for me and will have the laptop fixed.

After having read some irate comments on this board, I have to say I was dubious that I would get a good result.

But i was completely honest with them - i purchased it from the original customer who had got it as a factory refurbished unit, though I was unaware of that fact at the time - and I was polite and did what was asked of me in a timely manner, and it seems I will get a good result. This in spite of the fact that the unit is well outside of the normal warranty conditions.

So for me - at least so far - I am more than happy with the HP service and customer relations, Well done and thank you.

Cheers,

PS thought I would show a pic of the broken case around the hinge.

P1260003.JPG

HP Recommended

Just had a call confirming that the lappy is to be picked up on Friday (2 days time) and taken in for repair.

I have a contact number and a HP case number.

Things are progressing well.

Thanx again.

HP Recommended

Got my lappy back today and it's all fixed.

My only concern is that the hinges still seem a bit too tight, wondering if the problem will re-cur as a result. I guess only time will tell.

A big thank you to HP Support though, everything went as promised and with very little fuss.

Communication was also excellent.

Regards,

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my HP Envy 17 Touchscreen. Left hinge is broken after three years. The machine has never been dropped or bounced. It's an excellent laptop otherwise, but apparently this is a continuing issue for HP laptops? How does one contact HP for assisstance? Their website takes you in circles. How do you get an HP rep to respond to you on this forum?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Olive72

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.