Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
IAmSeth Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC Left Hinge breaking/separating

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This morning, I picked up my laptop to get started with my work day, and was greeted with what sounded like a bit of plastic bouncing around inside my fan (quite disconcerting).  When I took a closer look, it seemed that the casing around the left hinge of the screen had started to break apart and separate, which is where I imagine that piece of plastic in the fan originated. I can squeeze the casing back together, but it only lasts for a couple minutes before reseparating.

Unfortunately, my laptop is outside the warranty provided, but I did see numerous similar complaints in this and other forums, so I was wondering a) why this known hinge issue wasn't a part of any recall, and b) what I can do to get it resolved? Being outside the warranty is obviously a bit disappointing, but is there perhaps a kit I can purchase to repair the issue myself before it gets worse, or am I out of luck, essentially?

I'll attach a couple images in a moment to illustrate the issue.

4 REPLIES
IAmSeth Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are those images I promised:

20160418_090012.jpg20160418_085920.jpg

0 Kudos
16536 215 879
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@IAmSeth

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Cameron161 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too am having this same issue.  I have had my laptop for 3 years and have treated it well.  One day when I went to open my laptop I heard a cracking sound and the case split apart in the corner.  

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 921 1398
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Cameron161

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation