Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6-1188ca Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, I am getting the following error message on bootup.

HP ENVY m6-1188ca Notebook PC

Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID: GU71BT-6AA892-XD7X1F-60RK03

System Restore, System Refresh, Automatic Repairs, no recovery options seem to work. I keep getting to this screen only and cannot enter Windows.

Is this a strictly hardware issue for certain? What are my options and next steps? Laptop is way past warranty.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

DSC_0419.JPG

UPDATE Oct 19th, 2016 - I now get this screen when the laptop is powered on.

DSC_0434.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

New laptops are a lot faster and are enjoyable.If your budget allows it by all means treat yourself. You could fix your old one for around $100 probably- $50-$60 for a hard drive and about $40 for Recovery Media.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I'm really surprised you haven't received any responses. I am not an expert or computer wiz but this just happened to me a few weeks ago. I replaced my Hard Drive, and ordered recovery discs for my specific model and serial number(Since I did not make any beforehand) from Computer Surgeons. Everything is perfect now. I received my support on here. Excellent.

HP Recommended

@vkshiu
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand the computer isn't booting into windows anymore,

You've performed the hardware test and it resulted with the failure ID,

Here's what the ID represents:

Hard Disk 1 Full Test Failure

You will need to get the hard drive replaced, this can be done either using the HP Part store,

Or call the HP Phone support for a repair service.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And thanks for having out backs, while we had been looking for new posts, @geegeesgirl 🙂

I Hope you both have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Media.It can be larger capacity but not smaller.

Your Specs page says it shipped with 750gb hard drive:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m6-1100-Notebook-PC-series/5296045/model/5317064/documen...

If you did not make Recovery Media which is needed to install Windows on the new hard drive you can order here on your Support page:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-envy-m6-1100-notebook-pc-series/5296045/model/5317064/soft...

HP Recommended

Given that I bought the laptop back in 2011/2012, I don't know if it's still worthwhile to replace the hard drive at all? I am probably better off just buying a new laptop?

HP Recommended

New laptops are a lot faster and are enjoyable.If your budget allows it by all means treat yourself. You could fix your old one for around $100 probably- $50-$60 for a hard drive and about $40 for Recovery Media.

HP Recommended
This is an old thread but if anyone has thia problem i suggest you try this method before buying a new hardrive. I had the same problem on my hp envy m6-n010dx notebook and was able to fix it by doing the following.
Turn on laptop and press escape several times untill a list of options come up. You should see troubleshoot/repair. After selecting this, the hp help program should come up and you should have the option to reset your laptop while saving the files without having to back them up. After running this it may say undoing changes hardrive is locked. After you see this restart your laptop and you should see it state that it is repairing c; drive. It took 2 hrs to repair and even though the percentage doesnt seem to increase from 0 it will. My laptop has been working fine ever since.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.