Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

There are a few things you need to get 950pro(NVM)  to work.

• Fast Boot Disabled
• Secure Boot Disabled
• Legacy Support Disabled

windows 10 is working

and The Samsung oem sm951(NVM)  also works with the default options.

HP Recommended

HP site say the HP Elitebook 840 G3 support the following:

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04906476#AbT4

M.2 (NGFF) 2280 solid state drive
128 GB SATA-3 TLC solid state drive
180 GB SATA-3 MLC solid state drive
180 GB SATA-3 self-encrypting (Opal 2) MLC solid state drive
240 GB SATA-3 MLC solid state drive
256 GB SATA-3 TLC solid state drive
256 GB SATA-3 self-encrypting (Opal 2) MLC solid state drive
256 GB PCIe-3x4 NVMe solid state drive
512 GB SATA-3 TLC solid state drive

Does that mean the

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB wont be supported  at all or will it work if i disable the following

• Fast Boot Disabled
• Secure Boot Disabled

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB is the max i can get .. and will be at full speed and have a quick boot time WITHOUT disabling those setting ?

HP Recommended

Did anyone find out the answer to this?

I've had a longtime love affair with the 840 product line but with the recent issues in basic upgrades / BIOS Updates / unclear information regarding secure boot, secure booting, hardware compatibility, etc., the products under the HPE Business laptops are becoming overwhelmingly frustrating to work with.

If anyone has an answer as to how I can get a Samsung 950 PRO M2. v-nand SSD to work on a 840 G3, please share the knowledge.  Regardless of what I try, the laptop will not recognize the 950 at all, nor will it even recoginze a standard M2 disk on the other M2 slot on the board.  This is really frustrating!

And, the only response you can get out of support is "we only support HP components" - that uttery is rediclous - it's such a copout!  If a systemboard is advertised to have specific features/components, then it should work across any device that has the interace - that would be as impractical as using the same execuse for a "non-hp" branded USB disk/thumb drive.  

What's the deal with this, HP?  

HP Recommended

I am not an HP engineer. But I can give you some advice.

If you want to write 950pro (NVM), you have to do some work.

BIOS 

• Fast Boot Disabled
• Secure Boot Disabled

it will work.

But in this case, the first time you install Windows, USB DVD can not be installed as USB memory.

So I want to explain the alternative to you.

It is to buy sm951 (NVM) 256GB from ebay and use it.

I am currently using sm951 (NVM) 256gb. Sm951 (NVM) 256gb works well with the default option of bios.

Sm951 (NVM) 512GB I did not test, because I do not have Sm951 (NVM) 512GB 

I hope this helps you.

HP Recommended

Anyone can confirm the "Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB MZ-V6P5122BW (RW:3500/2100mb/S 330/330K IOPS) whether compatible with Elitebook 840 G3. Product Number: L3C67AV ?

HP Recommended

Will not EFFng work! No matter what I tried, I had to just send mine back.

HP Recommended

HP EliteBook 840 G3 (L3C67AV) released the latest firmware 01.18 Rev.A.

Will this solve the issue to use my long time purchase SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB (MZ-VKV512)?

HP Recommended

This isn't Steven (it's yet another desperate owner of the HP EliteBook 840 G3) asking but I really need to know whether:

Can anyone PLEASE confirm whether the "Samsung 960 PRO M.2  **2TB** is compatible with the Elitebook 840 G3?

I can live with a slow boot (although I would like to know if ths'll occur before I buy the Samsung 2TB 960 PRO) and I can disable those three BIOS options but will it support the 2tb (not 512gb) sammy 960 pro m.2 at FULL speeds etc.?

It's complete BS that we have to buy a HP SSD m.2 !!! What the #&#& - exactly like the other guy/girl posted it's like forcing us to use an HP USB Stick or an HP Monitor or an HP Keyboard, or an HP mouse or an HP *ANYTHING*

This is madness, come on HP. Start competing against DELL, Lenovo, etc. etc. Stay competive especailly as you've had many years to fix this issue!!! This (otherwise lovely) 840 G3 is pretty awesome in other areas...

PLEASE HELP ANYBODY! ? And you know what having said all that if HP sells a 2TB m.2 drive with similar performance and similar price than the Sammy 960 pro m.2 I'll buy it as I'm desperate as HP has a loaded gun to my head and I don't have much choice

But don't expect my loyalty when I need to advise people on whether HP is a good brand or whether the next laptop/ultra book / mobile workstation etc. will be an HP...

Please prioritise this issue... If it is still an issue ???

HP Recommended

Is the firmware of Samsung 960 pro m.2   2tb also incompatible ? (yes/no question)

When is it likely to be fixed (if ever - would be nice to have an entire especially bearing in mind that ths 840 g3 eB is several years old now...

@Star_Fox wrote:

Samsung 950 and 951 firmware are in-compatible with HP which may take long time to boot.

HP Recommended

@iano7 wrote:

Is the firmware of Samsung 960 pro m.2   2tb also incompatible ? (yes/no question)

When is it likely to be fixed (if ever - would be nice to have an entire especially bearing in mind that ths 840 g3 eB is several years old now...

@Star_Fox wrote:

Samsung 950 and 951 firmware are in-compatible with HP which may take long time to boot.

Thanks for the reply! Is it known whether Samsung 260 pro 2tb SSD has simillar firmware issues?

Once it has finished booting

@iano7 wrote:

@Star_Fox wrote:

does it then perform like its supposed to performance? (fast!!) if I disable in the BIOS:

• Fast Boot Disabled
• Secure Boot Disabled

will it still have a slow boot?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.