Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 745 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am looking to purchase either an Elitebook 840 G3 or an Elitebook 745 G3. I would like to add a 2nd hard drive. I know the 840 supports 2 drives i.e. one Sata and one M.2. But can I do this with the 745 G3. I have a good price on a 745 G3 with WQHD but if I can't iunstall a 2nd hard drive then I will go for the 840 instead.

Does anyone know if it's possible on the 745 G3?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@pepedwards

M.2 (2280) 512 GB SATA-3 TLC

1. M.2 (2280) 256 GB PCIe-3×4 SS NVMe
  1. M.2 (2280) 256 GB SATA-3 self-encrypting (Opal 2) MLC
  1. M.2 (2280) 256 GB SATA-3 TLC
  1. M.2 (2280) 240 GB SATA-3 MLC DS
  1. M.2 (2280) 180 GB SATA-3 self-encrypting (Opal 2) MLC
  1. M.2 (2280) 180 GB SATA-3 MLC
  1. M.2 (2280) 128 GB SATA-3 TLC

2.5" SSD (Brazil and 35.6-cm only)

1. 256 GB SATA-3 TLC
  1. M.2 (2280) 128 GB SATA-3 TLC

Your manual here.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7815279&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

REO

HP Recommended

@pepedwards

This may also help.

HP EliteBook 745 G3 Notebook PC - Remove/Replace videos

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7815279&MEID=4124F080-1943-473D-A7E6-DE34974F9567

REO

HP Recommended

Hi,

No dual storage option from the following specs:

http://www.hp.com/sbso/hpinfo/newsroom/HPElitePC2015/HPEliteBook745G3NotebookPC.pdf

Most likely a particular machine only has one or another, not both.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have looked at the manual and while it does say it supports standard drives as well as M.2 SSD drives on one machine -I can't find any mention of being able to or use both at the same time.

My main reason is if I buy the 745 with a standard 256gb drive - then I can just buy a 256GB M.2 Sata and have 512GB as opposed to taking out the perfectly good 256GB drive to replace it with a 512GB drive.

HP Recommended

That was quite useful - I think I will go for the 745 as it has a WQHD screen and from the videos it looks to me like I can install 2 drives? If I can't it's not the end of the world.....just means I will have to replace the 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD!

Thank you.....

HP Recommended

@pepedwards  and  @banhien

If you look at the video for the "Hard disk drive or SATA SSD removal" you will notice that there is a hard drive and M.2 installed???

REO

HP Recommended

What was the result?  Did the 745 G3 accept one SSD and one HDD at the same time?  If so, I assume you made the SSD the primary drive?  Any advice on the install?  

HP Recommended

This may have come a little late to the OP, but I can confirm that the Elitebook 743 G3 can indeed run a dual storage configuration.

My machine came with a Toshiba 500 GB HDD and I took the liberty of of adding on a 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD onto it.

Please note that the max configuration listed in the Hardware and Maintenance Manual is *either* 500 GB SATA M.2 or 256 GB PCIe M.2. In spite of this, I went ahead with the SSD of my choice and it works flawlessly!

HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried to install second HDD on HP 745 G3.
As soon as the SATA drive is installed the PC is not booting.
After few minutes of black screen ,BIOS screen will be displayed.
Without the second sata drive instaleld the PC boot normally.

Do you have any idea to solve this issue?

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.