Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Linux

hello all, i have just recently received the above mentioned laptop for free, and actually out of the garbage (swear to the heavens). I took it apart and found a few interesting things: one was that it has some kind of M.2 slot for a WWAN card (like cellular?) and an M.2 slot for an SSD of some sort. I looked at the product page for this, and there is actually no mention ( that i could find at least) of any of these things being on here, let alone the specs of the slots.
    so my question really boils down to this. What is the official SIZE of SSD that i can fit inside of the slot marked SSD (not the regular slot, but the M.2 slot), and is it just standard SATA SSD's that are compatible with it, or is it PCIe? I really dont know the difference between these two techs yet, but i do know (at least i think i do) that one isnt compatible with the other? idk, maybe im wrong.
  But at any rate, what would be the best option for me in this situation? what kind of SSD is compatible with the M.2 slot? and what kind of WWAN card is compatible with the WWAN M.2 sot?

EDIT!: ok, upon further inspection of the product support page, i see that there under "storage and drives" it shows "primary storage" and then under that it shows the different types of drives that seem to be supported, but it doesnt designate WHERE it is talking about. i want to assume that it means that the M.2 slot that is designated "SSD" (by silk screening or something in white) is compatible with both standard "SATA" AND "M.2" SSD's. am i correct in this assumption?

also, i see something on the page that speaks about a sort of "Flash  Cache module" (32 M.2). what is this, and is it saying that the M.2 slot that I am talking about is where i could plug this "flash cache" into?
  thank you in advanced!
dps

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It supports M2 SSD (2260 form factor)

I would go with SATA, as the PCIe sometimes has compatibility issues with older models.

On page 62 of service manual you can see various drives and part numbers.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04560057

You can also see the various compatible WWAN and WLAN cards for the model.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

It supports M2 SSD (2260 form factor)

I would go with SATA, as the PCIe sometimes has compatibility issues with older models.

On page 62 of service manual you can see various drives and part numbers.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04560057

You can also see the various compatible WWAN and WLAN cards for the model.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

bro, thank you for this! youre awesome!

HP Recommended

i do have one quick question though: would i be able to use an ssd that is rated for NVMe in this slot? (ignoring the complications that you pointed out on compatibility with PCIe and older devices).

HP Recommended

Yes, you could insert a PCIe SSD of the correct form factor. You should search with the part number from the service manual to get a compatible one.

Regards,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.