jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Elitebook 8570w, built-in mouse key stutter (Windows 10)

HP Elitebook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just updated to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1) and noticed that the built-in mouse buttons (the ones just below the spacebar) started working really erratically. When held down, they act likethey are been pressed down repeatedly like 10 times per second. 

This of course could be a hardware issue, but they have been working OK for 2.5 years now and it would be quite of a coincidense if they would somehow break at the same moment when I install Windows 10.

To demonstrate, I attached an image showing continuous lines drawn in MS paint while holding the mouse buttons down. The ones drawn with the built-in mouse keys are dotted, while other lines drawn with an external mouse are solid lines. 

See image here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2130481/hpmousebuttonstutter.png

Interesting thing is that this behavior seems to be a bit random. Sometimes I am able to draw a solid line also with the built-in keys.

The other built-in keys (just below the touch pad) seem to work ok, as does the touchpad itself.

I downloaded and installed the latest driver from hp.com (sp72041.exe, version 19.0.12.0, date 11.6.2015), but it did not fix the issue.

This is very annoying and makes it pretty much impossible to use my laptop without an external USB mouse. Maybe the touchpad driver is incompatible with Windows 10?

Please let me know if you need any more details about my setup. 

15 REPLIES 15
jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: I installed Synaptics driver version 19.0.19.1 from their site, the problem was still there. I still get dotted line and using the mouse is impossible.  

HP: are you aware of this problem and are you working on this with Synaptics?

I can use the mouse buttons OK if I uninstall the synaptics driver, but then I get another annoyance: the base of my thumbs accidentally hit the touchpad causing unintended clicks because without the Synaptics driver I cannot disable the touch pad!

0 Kudos
jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello?

0 Kudos
jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seriously, no one else has this problem? This makes the usage of my latop a nightmare without an external mouse. Dragging and minimizing/maximizing windows is impossible becasue the mouse acts like someone is hitting the left key repeatedly all the time. 

I emphasize that this is not a HW issue. The problem surfaced right after installing Windows 10. 

I would expect at least some kind of reaction from HP on this matter!

0 Kudos
WHY_HP_WHHYYYYY Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Having the same issue!

I do not understand why it is not being escalated.  Surely it is an easy fix.  I enabled trackpoint selection and only get rapid clicks if I am using upper buttons with touchpad, or lower buttons with trackpoint.

Even if palm is rejected and I am using upper buttons I rapid clicking.  Very dangerous when I am managing data!

0 Kudos
jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is clearly a driver issue. When I remove the Synaptics Driver in the Device Manager (by uninstalling the device and selecting "delete the driver software for this device") and then reboot my PC, I do not get the dotted line issue mentioned in the first post. But then I cannot use the 2 finger gestures (like zoom or scroll) on the touch pad. 

And the worst part is, whenever I reboot my PC again, the Synaptics driver is reinstalled automatically bringing back the issue. 

This makes the usage of my PC a nightmare without an external mouse! How about a reaction, HP?

I repeat that this issue surfaced after updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, so this is clearly a software driver incompatibility issue!

0 Kudos
MuleHP Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My team has 4 HP Elitebook 8570w laptops with new windows 10 updates, same problem with all of them! Built-in mouse is unusable . Everything was fine with win8.1.

HP, fix this now!

0 Kudos
jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I contacted the HP Technical Chat support about this. The only solution they could offer was to update the driver to version 19.0.12.0 Rev.A(23 Jul 2015). Just in case I reinstalled it, but the problem did not go away.  They also said that "Elitebook 8570W is not tested model for upgrade to Windows 10.". But why then offer a Windows 10 driver in the first place? And as Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 agressively, this issue needs to be fixed sooner or later anyway. 

I studied the case some more and noticed that the "rapid button pressing" is somehow enabled when the touch pad is pressed.

I tried to draw a solid line in Paint from left to right and back using the TouchStyk/Touch Stick/Pointing stick (the thing between G, H and B keys). Whenever I touched the Touch Pad while drawing, I get a dotted line instead of solid line for a couple of seconds. 

Here is an image. The red arrows show where I touched the Touch Pad.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2130481/hpmousebuttonstutter_2.png

I also tried resolving this issue by going to Settings->Mouse  & touchpad-> Additional Mouse Options -> TouchPad ->Settings..  and disabling Smart Sense and Tap To Click features. But nothing helped. Even disabling the TouchPad completely does not remove this issue!

So please HP, please make your driver developers aware of this issue! It makes using the laptop really frustrating without an external mouse. Not really what I expect from otherwise good $2000+ workstation laptop.

Feel free to contact me in case you need any more input on this matter.

0 Kudos
jaritheman Tutor
Tutor
15 13 0 3
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still awaiting for a reaction from HP!

0 Kudos
WHY_HP_WHHYYYYY Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I fixed this issue by:
1 - Disabling automatic driver updates in settings.
2 - Uninstalling Synaptics TouchPad driver.
3 - Restarting PC
4 - Installing Windows 8 version driver located on their website.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation