Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Elitebook Pen inconsistent writing

HP Elitebook X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a teacher, and have been having issues with my HP Stylus for the last year and a half.  I have to frequently change the batteries when the stylus either doesn't respond or the digital inking becomes choppy.  I've been given new pens, but this did not resolve the problem - I went through 3 styluses, and never found a pen that would consistently work when the batteries were changed.  The issue has gotten so bad that I am now on a rechargeable pen (which works great!) - but I'm speaking for the other teachers in my building that are using the pen with batteries, and are now having the same problems I was.  We replace the batteries (AAAA and the small batteries) and replace the pen tips.  In some cases, it is fixed for a week.  In most cases, this does not solve the problem and the stylus remains dead.  Then I'll go back to the pen days later, and now it is working.  These are the inconsistencies that we are seeing, among the problem with the inking being choppy.

So basically my questions are - 

1) How often should these batteries be replaced? Because as I stated above - some teachers are having to change the battery every week.

2) When does the pen turn "on" and turn "off"? I cannot find this information in the handbook.  

3) Is there a weak connection with the AAAA battery?  

4) Is this generation of stylus not the best for heavy digital inking?  Is it better for light use or infrequent use?  The teachers who are having the most problems are heavy users.

5)  Is there anything we can do or try?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,538 2,347 287 854
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ErinW2,

I understand your frustration but firstly, could you provide a specific model name or product number of both the notebook PC being used and the stylus? E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

Unfortunately, I've faced similar issues with these HP styluses and that's why it's a bit difficult to recommend them to others. You shouldn't need to replace the batteries that often. Have you tried updating any touchscreen firmware for your device?

I'll search for updates that may improve your situation after you provide your model information for both the laptop and pen but I'm afraid that there may not be a clear solution. If you can't find the model information for the stylus, just provide the laptop information please.

0 Kudos
ErinW2 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Elitebook X360 1030 GS Base Model 

Product Number: X3U19AV

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation