Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-d170nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got an error message on startup this morning:

Cooling fan (902)

I updated the BIOS, and from what I can tell the fan seems to be running (although making less noise than before). Also, the error message no longer appears when I boot up the laptop. Temperatures also seem fine and stable:

cpu temp.PNG

What should I do now to make sure my laptop doesn't break? It's fairly new by the way, about one month old now.

Thanks in advance for your support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Please look at this article : http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02066988

If have already updated to the latest BIOS and trhe issue persists, please try Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

You should blow the compressed air into the vents on your laptop, and into other openings such as the fan intake vent to help keep the air circulating and prevent dust from accumulating on components.

Figure : Side vents
Blowing the  side vent with compressed canned air
Figure : Bottom vents
Blowing the  bottom vent with compressed canned air

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Please look at this article : http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02066988

If have already updated to the latest BIOS and trhe issue persists, please try Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

You should blow the compressed air into the vents on your laptop, and into other openings such as the fan intake vent to help keep the air circulating and prevent dust from accumulating on components.

Figure : Side vents
Blowing the  side vent with compressed canned air
Figure : Bottom vents
Blowing the  bottom vent with compressed canned air

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi GBL84,

Thanks for the quick reply! Two more questions:

• I currently have BIOS version F 36, would it make sense to install the update in the article you mentioned?
  • I don't see Windows 10 under the supported OS's for the update in the article, will this be an issue?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello brandebook,

Thank you for the reply.

Your unit has the Latest BIOS required. Hence no changes required.  F.36 Rev.A Aug 12, 2016

Try to clean the VENTS, even after cleaning if the issue persists, could be a Hardwsare issue and replacement of Fan is required.

If your PC is under WARRANTY, please contact HP and HP will service it for free.   Contact HP

Check warrnty here:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! will look into using guarantee. Your support was very useful.

Regards,

Jeroen

HP Recommended

You are very Welcome !! :generic:

Thanks for being a member!  All the Best !!  

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.