Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 14 (277 Views)

HP Envy 15.6" Left Hinge Broken

Product Name: HP Envy 15.6
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This is in response to the 2014 post, "HP Envy 17" Left Hinge and Casing," and I'm posting here b/c I'm not able to reply in that thread (maybe HP got tired of hearing about it?).

I am having the exact same issue but with my HP Envy 15.6". I purchased it 13 months and 3 days ago. Up until this point, I've loved it. It's been an excellent machine. That is until this morning. The left hinge completely broke and the plastic piece detached. When I close the laptop I can place it back on, but when I open it up it pops off again and makes popping noises. I want to note that I have taken good care of it, gentle care (in fact I haven't opened and closed it very much, no reason the hinges would be worn after only a year), and basic, routine usage. I don't know what to do. I'm concerned that this will only get worse over time and am worried of the potential internal damage this could cause.

I've read all of the threads, the many, countless customers who have the same issue. It really calls into question HP's brand and the quality of their products. I assume my warranty is expired. And it's very suspicious that this happened just at the year mark, about a month after my warranty expired. This seems to have been a known problem since 2014 (almost 3 years!) with no solutions for customers. The only option I've seen is a repair at around $150-300, which I think is outlandish to pay and insulting to customers. This is not average "wear and tear." This is clearly a design flaw, a defect, that HP wants its customers to pay for, which calls into question the integrity of the company. I'm a teacher and writer and this laptop is my primary source for work, so I also can't wait 2-3 weeks to ship out for a repair.

Again, I'm not sure what a solution would be. I suppose a moderator will reply with the generic form response and then nothing will be done about it, but I hope that's not the case.

All best, M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Message 2 of 14 (268 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15.6" Left Hinge Broken

@Ml_holladay

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
Top Student
Message 3 of 14 (228 Views)

As an update, I received a private message from Customer Relations and provided the routine info they usually request. When they asked me to briefly describe the issue, I made it clear that the problem is the result of a clear design flaw with this model (and potentially other HP models). For anyone going through the same issue, that's the best way to frame it. This is not average "wear and tear" and is in no way the customer's fault. In terms of the design, the hinges are not made strong enough to support the weight of the screen, and HP needs to acknowledge that. Currently waiting to hear back.

Top Student
Message 4 of 14 (206 Views)

I want to continue to provide updates based on my experience so if someone else with the same issue finds this thread they'll have info (all of the other threads about this design flaw really helped me):

I was assigned a Case Manager within the Escalations Team. He called me yesterday and left a voicemail but I was working all day so didn't get a chance to speak with him. I called back and left a voicemail, and he called me back this morning. I've been assigned Dominic, and he is actually very nice and friendly. As an FYI, they're still taking your warranty into account for this issue. The first thing he did was check my warranty. Mine is 28 days past warranty. He checked to see what he could do for me based on that. I was very surprised. He said they are going to get my laptop shipped out for repair. I kept waiting for him to quote me the $300 to $250 to $150 like other customers have been quoted. He said since it's 28 days past, he was able to waive all fees. So I'm getting it fixed for free. Apparently if it had been 30 days or more they would've initially told me I have to pay for the repair. They're sending me a box with postage. He said it should come by tomorrow and he would follow up with me. I forgot to ask him how long it would take, but I'm going to email him that follow up question. I assume it'll be 2-3 weeks. I have a very old (2011) Gateway laptop that still runs, though really poorly, that can get me through in the meantime. He also said that if it breaks again they won't be able to fix it for free. I really wanted to reply, arguing that this is damage caused by a design flaw, and if it breaks again, I shouldn't have to pay, but honestly I was just happy it's getting fixed for free. One battle at a time.

A few things to note. It's still ridiculous and arbitrary that they're fixing this issue anywhere from free to $150 to $200 to $300. There's no consistency. It's unethical to charge some customers a higher amount than others based on how much they complain. It's still unethical that they continue applying the warranty to this issue. They are still making customers pay for damage that's caused by a design flaw. In my case, I was very lucky I didn't have to argue and complain. I guess if it had been 2 days later I would have. My advice to anyone who experiences this issue and it's over 30 days past warranty is to really advocate for yourself. Of course don't lose your temper and remain calm throughout, but really argue your case. Immediately tell them that this is damage that's been caused due to a design flaw, that it's not your fault, and because it's not your fault, you shouldn't have to pay for a repair. Really dig in deep. Don't play into their so called "discounts" to try and appease you. Tell them that it is insulting to you as a customer to make you pay for damage, in any amount, discounted or not, that's been caused by faulty design, b/c it is. Tell them this isn't an isolated incident and that there are countless customers complaining about this all over the HP Discussion Boards for 3 years now. Tell them you're never buying another HP product again and you'll tell everyone you know of your experience.

To me, even though mine is getting repaired for free b/c I got lucky, this really calls into question HP's brand. This is the benchmark for quality of an HP product? The screen falling off after only 1 year of gentle use. Cheap hinges that don't support the weight of the screen and cause damage. And further, this is the benchmark for customer relations? Making customers pay for damage due to this design flaw, to profit off of their own faulty design. After this, I'm never buying another HP product again. The next laptop I pay for will most likely be a mac. Anyway, I'll continue to provide brief updates about my experience.

Top Student
Message 5 of 14 (178 Views)

To provide an update on this: I received packaging last week and shipped off my HP Envy on Thursday. The estimated date of delivery is 4/10, so all in all, about a week and a half, which is a shorter time frame than I thought I would have to wait. 

Will update when I receive it. The issue is that there are still no protections. I was told if it breaks again, or if the other hinge, the right hinge breaks, I'll have to pay for it. HP needs to acknowledge that this is a clear design flaw so many of their consumers are experiencing, but they won't b/c they want to make money off it. They would have to fix it for free if they did that, which they won't do. Even though this issue has been temporarily resolved for me, it still calls into question HP as a brand and company.

Top Student
Message 6 of 14 (161 Views)

Last update: My issue has been resolved. I received my Envy back from HP today. It's fully repaired, a new left hinge, and the hinges actually feel like they've been strengthened, tightened. I was surprised at how fast the turn around was. I received it in less than a week from when I shipped it off. I shipped it to HP on Thurs. 3/30 and received it repaired today Wed. 4/5

I will say this much: Even though the warranty shouldn't apply to damage caused by a design flaw on HP's end, the customer service I've received from HP has overall been nice, helpful, and efficient. My case manager in the Escalations Team, Dominic was super friendly, kind, and helpful and kept me updated on the status of the repair throughout the process. And HP repaired my Envy and shipped it back to me in a very reasonable and efficient time frame.

I'm still not so sure about buying another HP laptop after this -- again, this reflects poorly on the quality of their products. The screen falling off after only 1 year of gentle use. Even though I got lucky and my warranty covered the repair in my case, HP's stance to not recognize this as a design flaw and profit off of repairing it, still applying the warranty, makes me not trust the company and its customer relations (making customers pay for a design flaw if it's out of warranty). Again, I'll likely go with a mac for my next computer. But here's to hoping my repaired Envy doesn't have anymore issues and I'm still able to get 3 or 4 more years out of it in the meantime.

Tutor
Message 7 of 14 (148 Views)

Lucky you. Same problem here. Ditto on the steps I took. I feel as though the case management person assigned to my case had no intention of replacing the hinges at HP's expense from the get go.
Each example I gave of cases that mirrored mine were dismissed as not relavent because he had no knowledge of them. I suggested reading the forum and he acted as though it didn't exist.
What really got me was the offer of a voucher for HP COM products for a nominal amount.
Now, if you are accepting no fault wouldn't that be considered an acknowledgement of responsibility?
Guess it was 'shut up $"
Overall I continue to be amazed at the lack of concern for their reputation, not just the thousands I am aware of but worldwide and dating back over 7 YEARS.
THAT A RECALL WAS ONCE ISSUED for hinges, it ended the same hinges continued to be used and now too bad lady.
Oh well...KARMA
Top Student
Message 8 of 14 (140 Views)

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue, like so many HP users have. It's so frustrating. Yes, I got lucky based on timing alone. And I only noted that my case manager was nice and helpful b/c they could fix mine for free. If that wasn't the case I doubt I would feel the same way. The truth is that they're not helpful. It's horrendous customer relations to not even acknowledge this and tell customers it isn't a known issue when customers are citing HP's own message boards. Like, what? Not only does that make no sense, it's also incredibly dismissive and insulting to customers. My trust and respect for HP is practically zero now.

Tutor
Message 9 of 14 (133 Views)

Thank you for sharing those words with me. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, well spoken, put,have 30 years of customer service managing my OWN property and casualty insurance agency.
My husband was the president and owner of 2 new car dellalerships, employing over 100 people.
So, I am not new to customer service, however I feel everyone should be treated with dignity and respect no matter what your background.
As I said the offer for voucher was made but I have not used it as I know that would be their proof of settlement
Offer and redemption are two different things.
Anyhow thank you for making me feel as though my efforts were not in vain.
I will continue to reopen my case as often as needed.
Tutor
Message 10 of 14 (127 Views)

Also I realize my above post contains misspelled words, typos and you name it. I'm just doing my best, since my only option has been my phone for over 3 months now. I will continue to stand my ground that HP SHOULD STEP UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for this ever growing problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation