09-23-2016 01:06 PM
So I've had problems with my battery charging. At first it was the AC adapter, I got a new one. Then my battery wasn't holding a charge, so I got a new battery. Now my new battery still isn't charging. It says "plugged in, charging", but won't go above 17% no matter how long it charges. I'm not good with computers, what do I do now?
09-26-2016 02:02 PM
Thank you for joining HP Forums.
I'll be glad to help you 🙂
As I understand the charger is plugged in but the battery isn't charging and you've recently replaced the battery & the AC adapter, here's what i recommend:
- Go into the Device Manager. (type device manager in the search all programs and files box and press enter)
- Click on the triangle next to the Batteries device to expand it.
- Right-click on the devices that are revealed. One at a time, select uninstall for each of the following devices. (Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery)
- Once you have uninstalled them, then right click any device and select scan for hardware changes.
- The Windows 7 operating system will reinstall fresh copies of the devices you just uninstalled.
- Restart your notebook and check to see how charging is going.
- Now open the HP Support Assistant --> Troubleshoot --> Power, Thermal and Mechanical. In the Power tab click on Battery check..
- If you do not get a pass or OK on the battery check, contact HP Total Care for warranty service.
HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
I am an HP Employee