Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bookworm: Mine already had the latest BIOS version (F.2A). It was giving the error pretty much every startup, and I noticed that the fan on the left side of the computer wasn't working, which presumably was the cooling fan error.

In any case, I sent it in to HP tech support last week.

Fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

dude, i found on another site forum with another model, people are downloading the BIOS to a flash drive (USB) and unplugging everything incl. battery. Then press window button + B and press power on button - then release that along wit 2 other ones and it should look for BIOS update on flash drive and go through the process. I'm messig with it now...Stand By

HP Recommended

i have downloaded the latest bios from the hp website for my envy 15-1060ea model that is having the cooling fan (906) error. but can you explain how i can install it on my laptop as i cannot get any loading screen or windows up, as thew computer doesnt run past the initial error screen (no option to press f10 or f12 etc)

thanks for your help

George

HP Recommended

i am having the same problem with my dv7. Error cooling fan 902 error appears and i have even tried blowing air into the vents to no Vail. Although there is HP service station nearby my house so i went there to see if they can fix it up. Here i want to mention that i am from Pakistan so there are not many certified engineers available. Well anyway we tried to reach bios screen but it is almost impossible to bypass the 902 error screen. The fan is also working but it is slow and when you put you ear to listen to it closely it gives a racing up sound and slows again. its like its speed its slower and variable not constant. Furthermore one of the engineer told me that IT could be problem with the fan cable or maybe with the board that is causing this issue because even if fan has slower speed the error message should not pop up. Although they have asked me to take my harddrives and give them the laptop so that they can figure something for it. They told me that they will contact some one in singapore HP center in order to take a hint whats going on. Important point to note is that if all of the blowing compressed air and failed attempts to reach bios screen is present and still 902 error message comes up than there could be a problem with the circuit of the fan i.e. it could have damaged overtime due to overheating and thus needs a change. I will keep u all updated what will happen next as they have asked for a week to repair the problem.

HP Recommended

ok i just went to HP service center. They have tried replacing the fan and cleaning the old one but the problem remains the same. They recommended that i should give them "dead call approval" to perform a soldering or heat operation to the bios in order to reset it. But there could be chances that it will curropt the bios. After hearing this i rejected the offer and went to a local repair shop. Ok the local engineer have came to conclusion that IT is not necessary that only fan has the issue that is causing the 902 error. It could be a problem with the "conductive pathways" on the board where the bios chip or fan is located or maybe the other similar issue that is causing the problem Because Bios chip IS NOT DEAD. It is still giving a display of error message. He said a worst case could be with that data inside the chip could be currpoted and there is no need to use heat operation in order reset the bios chip! What he suggested is that he has a "Laser" technology which can actually reset the data inside the bios chip. So there is no need to either replace the chip or apply heat to it. Ok important point to note here is that there are several reasons that can cause bios cooling fan 902 error. Those people who have successed by blowing air into vents had only minor problem with the fan speed due to dust inside it. That is why there problem is solved. But in our case where almost evey operation has failed is because extended heat has caused a hardware problem (Not necessary with the bios chip) but on the board OR it has curropted the data inside the bios chip. Tommarow i will bring my laptop to that local engineer and we will find that problem. I will keep you guys updated 

HP Recommended

any luck with fixes???

HP Recommended

Final report will be given tommarow by the local engineer. i hope for the best. I will explain everything tommarow after meeting him

HP Recommended

Any updates on this issue? Don't know what to do about this computer...

HP Recommended

OK here is the cure you all have been waiting for.

1. For those users whoso laptop cooling fan is NOT working entirely will have to blow in the vents in order to make it work and get rid of this error

2. For those users whoso laptop fan is working and still they are facing this problem will have to GET a new BIOS chip replaced ASAP + they will be needing a fan replacement as well. Ok only fan replacement might work but if not than i am sorry to say you need a chip replacement.

3. For those users who have a warranty left for laptop should send there laptop to HP in order to get it fixed.

4. It is highly recommended that your local engineer don't use any heat related method to replace the bios chip. A laser treatment is available for this purpose so please find an engineer with that equipment

(Real Cause)

Real cause for (902) error is the "Dust" entering in you laptop vents and accumulating near you cooling fan, which cause the fan to run on slower speeds or stop running entirely. Running in slower speed is more harmful for you laptop because the problem is not identified in time and than it slowly builds up to cause major hardware problems.  Symptoms are that you laptop shutdowns immediately or blue screen error occurs or maybe unexpected reduction in its processing speed. It is recommended that you download a suitable system temperature and cooling fan speed monitor program and keep an eye on your hardware. Bios chips are not available in all countries so if somehow your engineer can arrange a bios chip from same motherboard and compatibility is OK than you can use it. Its just a open heart surgery for your laptop only in this time its your motherboard chip as a heart.

(Recommendation)

1. Don't freak out! just see if the fan is working or not first than blowing method should be used first

2. Do not try to open your laptop yourself if you have no knowledge. Its a sensitive machine and even if 1 diode broke up than whole machine can stop working

3. HP should make people more aware with this problem so that it can be stopped in time. Its a cancer for laptop hardware

4. Best of luck with the repairs. Mine got working after chip replacement only new fan is required and i am awaiting for it

Regards.

HP Recommended

In short hp sux....I was a fan og hp having 2 notebooks and a touchsmart but recent issues with all 3 has just made me realize that hp is probably not for me!! The sad part part is all these fail 2-3 months after warranty expires!! Good job hp...you just lost another customer!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.