Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In late November 2020, I purchased the HP Envy 15 and it arrived in December working just fine. I had also purchased a dock with the laptop that I later found would not provide power to the laptop. My goal was to have only 1 cable attached to the laptop to provide power and the ability to connect a second monitor, additional USB ports (for a blu-ray drive, for example) and a wired network connection. I was advised by HP chat support to get the Thunderbolt 120W, which I bought.

The Problem

When I connect the Thunderbolt 120W to the Envy 15 (either USB C port), all the port replication works well: I can use the network port, connect a secondary monitor and a new Pioneer blu-ray writer successfully. But contrary to what the HP Sales associate told me, the dock does not provide power to the laptop. I spoke with HP Support and they said that the dock should provide power, and after a few tests on the phone with them, the tech authorized sending me a new dock -- his conclusion being that the dock I got was defective. The new dock (exact same model as the previous one), also does not power the laptop.

Now I'm wondering if the dock is truly designed to power the laptop -- that is, are they designed to work together to provide power the the HP Envy 15. The Thunderbolt dock is 120W and the laptop power requirements say 120W, so it seems like it could work. If anyone here has done this with this combination of hardware, or if you have knowledge about USB C, Thunderbolt dock and the Envy 15 I'd like to know so I can determine my next steps with HP support, who sometimes seem to lack fundamental knowledge of HP products.

TIA,

David

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Dealio 

What is your HP Envy 15 machine ? Looks like they are NOT compatible. Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Banhien,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The product number for my HP Envy 15 is 8ST15AV and it is a custom ordered laptop. I used HP Support Assistant to get that information though it is on the HP order as well.

Your thought is the same as mine was -- it seems they're not compatible (or the laptop has defective USB-C ports -- I tried using both ports). But HP Support told me it would work!! How can they not know their own products?? Geez! The only reason I bought the Thunderbolt 120W dock was because I was told it would allow me to have only one connection to the laptop to do everything. Otherwise, the Universal G2 dock I originally bought would have provided the same functionality (that I need) at lower cost. If you're right, I'm way disappointed in the product and in HP Support.

Thanks for your help. None of my venting is directed at you. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

David

HP Recommended

@Dealio 

Your machine is an HP ENVY LAPTOP - 15T-EP000 CTO machine, we won't have its REAL specs. It should have same ports of machines of the series

● AC Smart Pin adapter plug
● Headphone/microphone combo jack
● High-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) port
● USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type–A port: 2 (1 on the left side supports HP Sleep and Charge, 1 on the right side)
● USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type–C port: 2 (on left side)
● USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type–C Thunderbolt™ Gen 3 port: 2 (on left side)

Now the question is which port do you use for the dock ?

>>>> Geez! The only reason I bought the Thunderbolt 120W dock was because I was told it would allow me to have only one connection to the laptop to do everything.

Well, that probably is not TRUE. Your machine requires 200W charger therefore I don't think 120W dock would work, there is another version of Thunderbold G2 with 230W and that should be the way to go.

Hope this makes sense.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

@Dealio 

Your machine is an HP ENVY LAPTOP - 15T-EP000 CTO machine, we won't have its REAL specs. It should have same ports of machines of the series

● AC Smart Pin adapter plug
● Headphone/microphone combo jack
● High-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) port
● USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type–A port: 2 (1 on the left side supports HP Sleep and Charge, 1 on the right side)
● USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type–C port: 2 (on left side)
● USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type–C Thunderbolt™ Gen 3 port: 2 (on left side)

1. That's a total of 6 USB ports you have listed, 2 type A ports and 4 type C ports.
  2. I have no information about the USB version and generation of the ports on my Envy.
  3. My Envy has 2 type A ports, one on each side of the laptop. (How can I tell which type A port supports Sleep & Charge?)
  4. And there are 2 type C ports, both on the left side of the laptop. Both type C ports have a thunderbolt next to them, which I guess indicates that they allow charging. No instruction came with either the laptop or the Dock specifying which port to use.
  5. The product description I read when I bought the laptop says this about external ports:
EXTERNAL I/O PORTS
2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI 2.0b; 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 10Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 headphone/microphone combo

This description is obviously inaccurate (it mentions only 1 Type USB type A port, but my machine has 2 type A ports), like other information I've received from HP website, HP Sales and HP Technical Support personnel.

Pictures of the laptop ports are below:

Left side view:

Dealio_1-1616177665014.png
Left side ports in order are: power  USB A  HDMI  USB C#1 USB C#2  SD

Right side view:

Dealio_2-1616177694901.png

Right side ports in order are: USB A  headphone

Now the question is which port do you use for the dock ?

Of the 2 type C ports available on the laptop left side (that the dock can connect to), it doesn't seem to matter which port I use -- I've tried both with the same negative result -- working ports, but no power delivery to the laptop.

>>>> Geez! The only reason I bought the Thunderbolt 120W dock was because I was told it would allow me to have only one connection to the laptop to do everything.

Well, that probably is not TRUE. Your machine requires 200W charger therefore I don't think 120W dock would work, there is another version of Thunderbold G2 with 230W and that should be the way to go.

Your conclusion seems reasonable, but are you confident that it WILL work? You say it "should be the way to go." The G2 dock you mention is $350; also, the list of compatible laptops under the description for the Thunderbolt G2 230W dock does not mention HP Envy laptops -- only HP Elite, HP Pro and HP ZBook laptops. Is the website wrong again? If the G2 doesn't work, I'll have to pay a restocking fee of 15% ($52.50) plus return shipping probably. Have any ideas how to maybe exchange the dock I have to "trade up" to the G2? That would make it more appealing and I won't have a useless dock sitting around.

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I'm a little frustrated here with all the misinformation from official channels of HP Sales and Support teams which have cost me real dollars.

Hope this makes sense.

HP Recommended

@Dealio 

FYI,

I'm using USB-C Gen 5 dock right now. It is fully tested (by me) on 4 different machines

• (a) HP Elitebook 840 G5 with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 65W
  • (b) HP Omen 15-dc0071tx with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 200W
  • (c) Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 13-7000 series with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 65W
  • (d) HP Envy x360 15-ee0047nr with USB-C 10Gbps with PD and DP 1.4 - PSU 65W

It charges (a) (c) and (d) but not (b), it only charges (b) when machine sits idle. I don't think there is a compatible dock for your machine.  My MAIN answer was the 120W dock won't power your machine which requires 200W PSU. Your main concern was  "HP Envy 15 not powered by Thunderbolt 120W dock"  that why my suggestion was the 230W dock.

Information of your machine may not accurate because I said at the beginning I did not know your machine, I only used other machine from the same series as example.

Redards

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.