Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there, i'm struggling with this upgrade for some reason.  I've found multiple videos online that show you how to REPLACE the 2.5" HD with an SSD.  My computer doesn't have a 2.5" drive at all and i'm trying to add one.  So I found out the hard way that I needed to buy an adapter to connect the drive to the board, which I did.  All my attempts thus far have resulted in the same issue, the drive does not show up anywhere, not in windows, not in the BIOS, etc.  So I start thinking, if this thing only has an M.2 drive and the drive is PCI-E then maybe it doesn't even have a SATA controller, or maybe the controller is disabled?  I have checked the UEFI BIOS and there's not much there, no way to enable or disable any drive controllers.  The drive I am trying to install is a 2.5" 1TB SATA SSD.

What am I missing?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@cmerrell75 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Envy 15t-k100 adding SSD, drive not recognized.

I have checked the manual.

Your product support Solid-state drive

● 256 GB M.2 SATA (MLC)

● 256 GB M.2 SATA (TLC)

Dual Storage Configuration for HP Envy 17 computer models

● 1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)

● 1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (MLC)

It will not support 1TB SSD.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.