BabelInEar
1 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17 J053ea External GPU upgrade

HP Envy 17J053ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Before I start, just to clarify, I am far out of my warranty so that isn't an issue.

I want to install a full sized GTX 970 (using an adapter) into my mPCIe slot (usually containing the wireless card) I'm wondering if there will be any conflicts in hardware (there is already a discrete graphics card installed) and if this will slide past the whitelist?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
40,567 40,354 6,328 11,026
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is no whitelist. It has been reported to work. However, I want to tell you that you will not get the performance you think you will get and you will possibly damage your laptop. Firstly, you will have to remove the bottom access panel and run the laptop with the eGPU in the wireless slot and the cable protruding from underneath. Secondly, you do understand that the wi-fi slot is a 1x pci-e interface, right? When you install a video card in a desktop computer you put it in a special dedicated slot that is an 8x or more likely these days a 16x slot. So you will get video out of it but it will be crippled and bandwidth limited. It will provide no more video bandwidth than a usb 3 to hdmi adapter would provide so if you think you are going to run extremely demanding games on it you are mistaken. Then let's ask what happens when you bottleneck data coming out of and going into a computer and let it pile up like a traffic jam? Heat, that's what. You run a very severe risk of overheating and frying out the wireless slot and damaging the motherboard. But good luck.  

BabelInEar
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll take that on board and do some more research.
0 Kudos
dociselm
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much man u made my birthday. I am now building a mockup enclosure to go along with the Beast External Pci to wifi adapter..
..Though i had a powershell backup to bypass said whitelist I would of forgone that idea and attempted a Thunderbolt enclosure....as this is no issue and my dad just gifted ot to me for a lil bit of website building android development and yes gaming i was unsure as i still am (July 3rd i recieve my Hp 17 envy ) whether it even (should ) has a thunderbolt port. I assume as it was 1300$ it should but as its high price at least doesnt have a bios whitelist thats a step towards freedom from integration....I see u say it can burn up the wifi pcie slot ...this is troublesome as im planning on buying a decently high end Gtx 1070 8gb vram Founders edition. I have purchased vaccum coolers and a rear mounted turbine ...t ho i doubt this will help my roadbump....as long as i dont overclock the card and leave that to my cpu and intel boost tech with some undervoltage I am deducing i should be Kosher....am i missing something or is it probably worse as im buying a higher end and powered card(Amd rx580 are twice as power hungry tho) . Its worth a shot with smart monitoring practices in my opinion....tho any kind of legit refrences about ur noted and slight worrisome problem with overheating said slot....will post back with my results by July 5th!!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation