Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

rawoody...

Not having anything like the problems you are.  I am using the built in keyboard. I have had a couple more occasions where keyboard stopped working in some but not all open programs.  Gonna chalk it up to Win10, the applications themselves or an interaction of the two. 

HP Recommended

THe keyboard issue has nothing to do with WIN 10 as my system is on 8.1  The keyboard will stop working for no reason.  Sometimes it srops working right after the start up.  I will have to reboot, then it may work for a while then all of a sudden the keys dont work.  

Is there a fix?

HP Recommended

The issue has not recurred since my post. Self-healing?  However the machine is about to be returned for service on a failing cooling fan.

HP Recommended

Same problem on my 17" envy laptop.  Every time I try to enter something into Cortana or browser I get self entered 2's.  An entire string of them.  Built in keyboard now rarely works. Had repair tech check it out.  Keyboard is shot.  Also will not work with wireless keyboard and mouse.  Does work with USB keyboard and mouse, but that kills the idea of a portable product.

Have had computer 18 months.  Not a  cheap purchase. Why doesn't HP fix this problem and stand by their product.  Next laptop will be a mac.

HP Recommended

I have noticed that thi happens a lot. the ONLY thing i have been able to do is actually shut down my computer. I guess there is a setting in the computer that is on by default, that when you click shutdown in your start menu doesnt actually shut your computer down. it just turns it off leaving a bunch of stuff running in low power mode. after i found it and started shuting down my computer i noticed 2 things. 1st thing was, it took my computer a lot longr to start up since it was starting from scratch everytime, but the second thing i noticed was my keyboard has stopped being unresponsive, my touchpad respondes better, and my wireless mouse i have connected seems to stay connected now. i believe the feature is fast startup, and is in the power settings (under choose what power button does then click the change setting that are currently unavaiable and scroll down). IMO this feature is causing issues cause i have turned it on turned off and the turned on my computer for a startup speed of 18 seconds which is nice but then my keyboard doesnt seem to work 90% of the time. if i disable it it takes my computer 51 seconds on average to start up but i have never had issues with my keyboard with it off. Just a suggestion. (this is on win 10 idk about win 8 since i never got to play with it cause windows auto updated me to win 10)

HP Recommended

I had this problem when I first bought computer but updating software seemed to have correctedit.  But, now, I am having the problem several times. Restarting gets it working again but this is not a solution to the real problem. 

HP Recommended
Edherrera, as stated before the fast boot up option under power settings was the issue I had. After turning that off I have not had a single issue since. It has something to do with a setting in that option that causes the issue hence when you restart it fixes it. Restart fully shuts down your computer and reboots. With the fast boot option when you shut down your computer it ghosts your computer and leave the ghost running even when the computer is off. I think the programming on the ghost is the flaw but I doubt HP will be fixing it anytime soon
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.