Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17-1100 Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the exact same problem that I had been hearing when using the PC for a whie, maybe 6 months or more, but did not actually see the issue until I had to take the case apart to replace a fan that had failed (according to BSOD). What turned out to be the cause of the constant clattering and the fan failure, etc. was the pieces of the base that ,once upon a time, held the fitting that the hinge screws went into. The aggravating thing about this is that I had a Care Pack that had just expired on 8/15 which I feel sure would have covered at least the fan replacement if not the required parts for the hinge.

If anything is being done about this issue, please let me know

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Kevin,

As a direct result of your input, I have since been contacted by Shaun with the Hewlett Packard AMS TCO Escalations Team and it appears that we may have come to an agreeable solution to resolve my broken hinge and destroyed fan issue.

Although it is too soon to mark this as Resolved, I am really happy with the degree of ownership that Shaun has taken with my concerns. I do feel that this will come to a positive conclusion and will be sure that Kudos are made to you and Shaun and others as merited.

New Parts, including new hinges and top and bottom cover, all received Saturday (overnight shipping included).

Many Thanks to you and Shaun for your help. You have restored my faith in HP.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Gary Nordmeyer 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@gnordmeyer2039

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Kevin,

As a direct result of your input, I have since been contacted by Shaun with the Hewlett Packard AMS TCO Escalations Team and it appears that we may have come to an agreeable solution to resolve my broken hinge and destroyed fan issue.

Although it is too soon to mark this as Resolved, I am really happy with the degree of ownership that Shaun has taken with my concerns. I do feel that this will come to a positive conclusion and will be sure that Kudos are made to you and Shaun and others as merited.

New Parts, including new hinges and top and bottom cover, all received Saturday (overnight shipping included).

Many Thanks to you and Shaun for your help. You have restored my faith in HP.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Gary Nordmeyer 

HP Recommended

Kevin, 

I have this exact same issue with My HP Envy 17 Touchsmart.  What is the fix for this???

HP Recommended

Goodday,

I have the same issue I have purchased now 3 new HP ENVY J020US Borrom Base (720225-001) for my laptop. I contacted HP about 9 Months ago and was told this issue was unknown. How can I go about getting this issue fixed these Bottom Base's are expensive. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

This looks like the same exact problem I am having with my 

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j063cl

The screw fitting broke and the screw actually got lodged in the fan and th ePC started getting fan errors.  I got the screw ou and the fan errors went away but now the screen frequently fades to white.  Fiddleing with the hinge has got the screen to come back (so far) but this is happening more and more often.  I need a fix for this as it is my only machine.

HP Recommended

I would contact a moderator of this forum (in my case, it was Kevin T) with info such as model #, serial number, etc and he may be able to refer your problem to the appropriate person within HP to possibly give you some satisfaction. Obviously this can and probably will differ from my situation (HP contact was Shaun, he did replace my hinges and the top and bottom ouside panels as well at no charge. I did have to pay a local PC shop to transfer all of the working parts to the new cases, but so, the hinges are working great. Knock on wood!!!!! Like I said, don't automatically assume that you will get the same resolution, but at least you know that there are people that exist within the HP Service/Support structure that really are dedicated to our satisfaction. Like I said, start out with Kevin-T unless you have the name of another moderator within this forum, to get the ball rolling.

Gary N

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I'll see if I can find a moderator.  The screen is getting flakier every day.

HP Recommended

@Barbaroja

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I have the same issue that the left hinge broke with the screw inserts just popped out of the plastic holes. I could not use the laptop due to getting errors stating the fans was not working and found that a piece of plastic had wedged and bent one of the fan blades. I tried to actuate the hinge and it seems to be very stiff and not want to move, which could have attributed/caused the issue. I would have expected to see some adhesive in the thread inserts instead of relying solely on the insert grooves in the plastic! Especially for the price I paid for this laptop!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.