Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17 has stopped detecting second hard drive

Notebook Envy 17 Product Number E7A75EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please help, my Envy 17 started to intermittently stop seeing the second hard drive a few weeks ago and now cannot see it at all. When I plug the cable in, the drive starts up and I can see the drive in an external drive caddy.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,690 20,293 1,693 2,768
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ssjjsd I recommend we start with a hardware test to identify if there are any hardware issues with the drive that's no longer detected in windows, using the below steps:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link:Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ssjjsd
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, tried the extensive test, no errors, tried a new cable, drive spins but is still not detected.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,262 9,069 358 420
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ssjjsd

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and still secondery HDD is not getting detected, 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ssjjsd
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought 3 new cables off the internet, two didn't work but oddly one did. Don't know if it's coincidence or not but it's working at the moment so thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,690 20,293 1,693 2,768
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ssjjsd That's awesome, I'm glad that fixed the issue,

If you need anything else, feel free to get back to us anytime.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation