Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

this is utterly maddening... from a clean install, all drivers up to date, no errors in device manager, no suggested updates for any installed drivers...

in device manager i see the following related entries:

AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - (1.0 Microsoft)

and

USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

checking properties, says both are running properly, but plugging ANYthing into the 3.0 port on the right does absolutely nothing... i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, disabling/enabling... considering a pentagram, lit candles and sacrificing a small animal to the dark lord to try and get this port working...

the precise model of this laptop is 17-y018ca, and i'm running WinX 64-bit, version 1709, build 16229.125

any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep, that will do it.

Like I stated, if you're under warranty still, they will need you to send the PC for repairs. Most likely it will be a motherboard replacement or give you a referbished unit.

You will have to contact them via the web link...

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Choose the country you purchased the PC in, then choose Support and follow the prompts.

If you are not under warranty, I would contact them anyway and see what they say.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @jobriathboy

You could try the UEFI Diagnostics tool to test the USB Ports with.

HP How to use Diagnostics

Plug the power cord in.

Disconnect any USB devices attached to the laptop.

Rapidly tap F2 after you press the power button.

Arrow down to Component Tests and hit Enter.

Arrow down to USB Port and hit Enter.

Select Run once and hit Enter.

Insert a known working USB device like a mouse or USB drive into the USB 3 port in question and hit Enter.

If there is a problem, this should give you an indication.

If you are under warranty still, you can use that info to contact HP Support directly. 

HP Recommended

here are the results of that test:

Image00001.jpg

HP Recommended

Yep, that will do it.

Like I stated, if you're under warranty still, they will need you to send the PC for repairs. Most likely it will be a motherboard replacement or give you a referbished unit.

You will have to contact them via the web link...

Choose the country you purchased the PC in, then choose Support and follow the prompts.

If you are not under warranty, I would contact them anyway and see what they say.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

yeah... warranty through HP has expired... but i have an extended warranty through place of purchase... so i'll hit them up and see what the next move is.

thanks for the reminder that those tests existed via the f2 at reboot, been a while since i ever had to access that menu on any machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.