Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17" Left Hinge and casing falling apart

17 hp envy touchsmart

Hey,

My Laptop is falling apart. The hinge on the left side is completly wreaked and its poping all the screws out and slowing becoming more and more broken.

Where can i fix or or get a replacment case?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
7829 7782 1475 2729
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Bring the computer to local technician to get fixed. Usually when I fix this kind of problem I try to avoid buying new case parts as they are really expensive (at least if bought original from parts store).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401

In the service manual on page 73 you can see the hinges and where the problem is. These screw can come loose nad even the plastic which houses the screws can become weak over time and break away. I try to use plastic-metal epoxy glues to reconstruct the base for the screws.

You can buy the whole bottom part of the case as you can see on page 20, on page 25 are the part numbers. You did not provide the exact model of your PC so you would need to choose the correct part.

Once you have the part number you can insert in HP parts store and see if available:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/default.aspx

To change the base enclosure you can see what this means by looking at page 64 in service manual. Sometimes you can also find these parts cheap in online stores. Just make sure it is exactly for your model.

Hope it helps,

David

0 Kudos
rscoco64 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info David. I have the same problem as others and HP support only ever posts their canned message. I'm somewhat handy and have taken a few laptops apart. How long do you think this fix takes and is there any risk of creating a paperweight?  

Provost Provost
Provost
7829 7782 1475 2729
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The fix will take a while (about 1 hour). I do not know the exact damage you will be facing, could be loose screws, broken hindges... However taking a look will take ten minutes. I take apart laptops everyday and the nucleus of the system is resistant and unless you are really careless everything will work out well (at least not worse). Follow the service manual and be careful to remember screw plasement and flat ribon cables.

If you want you can post some pictures and I can see if I can provide some input. Remember that when you post pictures they take a couple of hours to be visible on forum.

Let me know if you any further help and/or how it works out,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation