Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t-n100, product number M9X67AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I put my HP Envy 17t-n100 laptop to sleep at night as usual while plugged in. When I went to use it in the morning, it was completely dead. The small LED next to the DC power jack was off instead of on. There was no response to the power button.

I took the laptop to UBreakIfix, the recommended repair center on HP's website. They tried replacing the power connector and cable but that made no difference. They returned the laptop saying they were unable to repair it.

The AC adpater measures 19.5 V as expected. At the end of the power connector cable, where it attaches to the motherboard, I also measured 19.5 V so the board is receiving power.

Since almost all of the circuitry is on the motherboard, I thought replacing it would fix the problem. The repair shop agreed but said they don't replace motherboards. I am an electrical engineer so I ordered one online and replaced it but the system still showed no signs of life as before. There are a couple more small boards--a LID board and a USB board with the power switch on it. They are inexpensive so I could just replace them in the hopes that it might fix the problem but I'm tempted to just replace the laptop.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else I might do? If the LED beside the DC power jack doesn't turn on anymore and the laptop is completely dead, what is the likely fault and repair needed?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mgreen10

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried that early on, several weeks ago. They said to look at local repair options on their support website. I took the laptop to UBreakIFix, recommended on HP's website, but they were unable to repair it. I spoke to HP Support again and they said I could ship it to their repair facility but it would probably cost around $500 to repair. That isn't a resonable option since the computer is three years old.

It sounds like I have to buy a new computer. This time I'm planning to go with Lenovo.

Thanks,

Mark

HP Recommended

@mgreen10

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your attention. I called HP Support/Service again Monday to see if I could get a different answer about repairing my computer. The representative said he checked all possible options and even talked to managers while I waited. In the end, he said HP could not repair my computer. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I cannot find another laptop that supports two 2 TB hard drives and a 1 TB SSD (5 TB total). I also like the 17" display, discrete (non-integrated) nVidia high-performance graphics, core i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM, integrated DVD drive, RJ-45 wired Ethernet port, four USB ports, etc. I can't find another laptop that has all these features  (I could give up the integrated DVD drive and use an external USB version).

I would love to get this computer repaired and appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

In an effort to repair the computer, I have tried the following but nothing brought any sign of life. The LED next to the power jack never illuminates either.

1. Replaced the motherboard

2. Replaced the USB I/O board (has the power switch on it)

3. Replaced the LID board

4. Replaced the DC power jack and cable

5. Replaced the AC adapter

6. Disconnected the hard drives

7. Removed the DRAM

8. Removed the Wi-Fi card

9. Removed the fan

10. Removed the battery

None of these things helped. Each time I pressed the power button, the fan didn't spin and nothing else happened.

Can HP repair my computer? Or do you have any other suggestions for me to try?

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.