Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 20 (24,350 Views)

HP Envy Battery Problems - not charging when on, charging fully when off

I've had my HP Envy laptop for about 3 months, and yesterday I noticed that when it was plugged in it wasn't charging (the battery icon says "plugged in, not charging"). I turned it off overnight, plugged in, and this morning the battery was fully charged. It only seems to not charge when it is turned on. I have tried removing the battery, turning on, deleting the ACPI-compliant control method battery, turning off, and turning back on again (as advised in other forum responses), but with no joy. At first I thought it could either be a battery issue, but the fact it fully charged overnight whilst off would lead me to believe it's not, and is probably a software / settings issue. Any ideas please, I've run out of google search ideas!!

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 20 (24,290 Views)

Re: HP Envy Battery Problems - not charging when on, charging fully when off

[ Edited ]

Hello HowfenClaret,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer. I am linking an HP Support document below that will show you how to find your product number. As well, if you could indicate which operating system you are using. And whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit as with this and the product number we can provide you with accurate information.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Which Windows operating system am I running?

Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please re-post with the requested information and I would be happy to provide you with assistance. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Honor Student
Message 3 of 20 (24,205 Views)

did you find a resolution for this problem.. My laptop is doing the same thing.. will only charge in Sleep Mode or when it's powered off.  While using it it will say "pluged in not charging"

Retired
Message 4 of 20 (24,189 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello boxermarq,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are experiencing the same issue with the computer not charging when the computer is on. I would be happy to assist you, but first I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer. I am linking an HP Support document below that will show you how to find your product number. As well, if you could indicate which operating system you are using. And whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit as with this and the product number I can provide you with accurate information.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

In the meantime you can try the following HP Support document: Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset, as this is the first step in trying to resolve this regardless of the cause.

Please re-post with the requested information and I would be happy to provide you with assistance further if you require it. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great weekend!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Student
Message 5 of 20 (24,157 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am suddenly having a similar problem as well. My laptop worked fine on battery power then after an update reboot will suddenly not charge while running and plugged in. My laptop is an HP ENVY m6-1225dx Notebook PC running Windows 8.1.

Retired
Message 6 of 20 (24,138 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello minska_Catral,

I understand you are experiencing the same issue with the battery not charging while the Notebook is on. If the steps I posted in my previous posts on this thread did not resolve your issue you can try the HP Support document: Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 8) to ensure that the battery is 100% funcitonal and calibrated correctly to your computer.

Please re-post if you require additional support. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
Message 7 of 20 (24,136 Views)

nothing thus far has worked... i understand this is a known problem for HP laptops.. please assist

Student
Message 8 of 20 (23,780 Views)

I have the same problem with my Envy 17" laptop- only charges when switched off.

Top Student
Message 9 of 20 (23,195 Views)

Im also having this problem, Io  thought It may have statred after a windows 8.1 update, since I also had a problem with the internal touch pad buttons which stopped working, but I was able to fix by rolling back the touch pad driver.

My laptop is a HP Envy M6, and I am running Windows 8.1. Please let me know if you have fixed this problem, and if so how.

Tutor
Message 10 of 20 (22,664 Views)

I have found the solution!

Take a look at where the power plugs into the laptop.  If the power plug shows any of the silver (chrome) adapter, this is likely your problem.

**DANGER**

UNPLUG THE POWER FROM THE WALL POWER OUTLET BEFORE PROCEEDING!

Unplug the adapter from the laptop and look into the hole in the center of the plug-in portion. You will probably need a flashlight.

You will probably see that the center pin is bent to one side and is no longer in the center of the hole.

To repair this..............

Straighten the outermost bend of a regularly sized paperclip (the 1 inch type) and then used a multi-tool to bend the tip (about 1/16th inch) to a 90® bend and then insert it into the center hole. After getting the tip behind the center pin, slowly pull the paperclip out. I had to repeat this several times and also had to GENTLY pry the tip back to the center of the hole with the tip of the bent paperclip.

Now when I plug in the power plug it goes all the way in and the laptop once again charges while on.

This issue boils down to a faulty design and from now on I will be extremely cautious whenever I plug or unplug my computer.

Regards, TLM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation