Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my HP ENVY TS m6 Sleekbook (E0L02UA#ABA) is running on battery,  it loses power randomly after about 30 minutes without warning - no low battery indicator, no shutdown process, etc.   When I power it back up on AC power it is fine, and I am not having any issues on AC power.  When this issue occurs the battery still shows ~ 80% capacity just before it loses power.  

I have run the battery diagnostic check via HP Support Assistant and it says the battery is fine.  That said, I'm not sure if I need to replace the battery of if there is another issue.  How should I proceed in troubleshooting and resolving this? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @smithso2,

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Please try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time to open the quick-access menu.

Click Device Manager.

In Batteries section, right-click on your battery driver, commonly it’s Microsoft  ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. Then click Uninstall device.

Restart the PC the drivers would automatically install again.

Check the BIOS (F.34 and later) to confirm the setting is set to Full Charge, if it is not, change the BIOS setting to Full Charge.

Power on the unit.
Press F10 to enter the BIOS.
Select the Power option. 

Full Charge: The battery charge stops at 91~100%. 
Extended Life of Battery Pack: The battery charge stops at 76~80%. 
Optimize Life of Battery Pack: The battery charge stops at 46~50%. 

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

If the above steps do not fix the issue, upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Run Power Troubleshooter.

On Cortana, enter  Troubleshooter then select Troubleshooting.
Click Improve power usage to open the window, then click Next. 
This should run the troubleshooter and can fix any detected issues. You may try restarting your computer and charge your battery again.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My apologies for the delay in following up.    The product number of the PC is E0L02UA#ABA.  I have two AC adapters and have tried both, and the battery appears to charge correctly to 100% on both.   This has been an ongoing issue for awhile, so of course there have been multiple Windows updates along the way. 

I uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery device.  I could not find a Power option in the BIOS settings, so I successfully updated the BIOS to the latest version. 

Unfortunately none of these steps resolved the issue.  What are next steps?

HP Recommended

@smithso2 I suggest you test and calibrate the battery using the steps mentioned in this link: click here for details, once done, please create a new user account and use that instead to check if the issue persists while you are on the new user account as well, if not, this is most likely a corruption within the old profile and you can simply transfer the data into the new account and delete the old one to resolve the issue.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the battery calibration test before I reported the issue, and just ran it again as you recommended - passed both times.

I don't follow what user account you are asking me to recreate, or how it could be related to this issue.  Please clarify.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@smithso2 In some scenarios a corrupt user profile could cause issues with the driver controlling the battery, hence creating a new windows user account could help resolve the issue, you may click here for details on managing and creating a new user account.

If the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can I log in with my wife's Windows credentials to test this theory before going through the process of creating a new user ID? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@smithso2 please do, take your time and get back to us with the results.

Have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It turns out the battery was the issue after all.  The last time I tried to use the laptop on battery power, it turned off without warning almost immediately after start up and would not turn back on even on AC power.  I removed the battery and it worked fine when plugged in with no battery installed.  I then purchased a new battery and installed it.  After fully charging the battery, I tested it by running the laptop on battery power until the battery was fully discharged, and it worked fine.  

While I am very happy the issue is resolved, I'm frustrated that the HP battery diagnostics indicated the battery was fine when it actually wasn't.  If the HP battery diagnostics had worked correctly and identified the defective battery, it would have saved both of us a lot of time and trouble.  That said, I do appreciate your efforts in trying to further troubleshoot the problem.

Any idea why the HP battery diagnostics failed to correctly identify the issue? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@smithso2 The diagnostics aren't entirely accurate, as the issue could sometimes be with the connectors or the motherboard as well, however, its not revealed in the test, its best to do what you did and check with a replacement to be sure, I'm glad it worked out for you and I'll be forwarding this scenario to the R&D team to have the same improved so that it works better in the future for you and the rest.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.