Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-u163cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop at MicroCenter.  The salesperson was certain that I can get M.2 SATA SSD as a 2nd drive.  I was under impression that Levy laptops have support for TWO 2.5" hard drives which seems true for older models.

Salesperson verified me online saying that this model will support M.2 SATA, so I went ahead and bought it.  Few years later, I decided to add M.2 and shopped around.  Crucial's website says that my model is supported and suggested me few options.  One of them was 1000GB M.2 and ordered it from Crucial's website.

As soon as I received it in mail, I opened up the laptop and it surprised me that it doesn't have a socket for M.2!  Why was there a metal threaded post to hold M.2 in there?  It should also be missing along with the missing socket.

See photos attached.  I'm VERY VERY VERY disappointed with HP!   I got no warnings on my package or labels that clearly warns me of missing socket.

Levy 17-u163Levy 17-u163Levy 17-u163Levy 17-u163

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LinuxGuy2 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to find the M2 SSD port.

I understand your concerns.

According to the specifications, there is no port for M2 SSD.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-17-u100-notebook-pc/12499198/model/16748366/document/c0...

I have checked the manual as well. There is no port. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

This is the manual I got from HP support online after punching in my model number.  This is exactly the same thing that I remembered at MicroCenter where a salesperson showed this to me.

Also Crucial's website showed options that I can chose either M.2 or 2.5" drives.

Poor documentations from HP surely  can mislead anyone, just like what happened to me.

envy specs.png

HP Recommended

Yes the Manual shows a possible M.2 port on some models in that line. Nobody from HP ever told you that model does have the M.2 slot. Technicians learn the hard way to open the laptop before ordering upgrade parts. We Experts always give that advice and had you done that you would have learned the fact before you ordered the part based on the representation of someone trying to sell you something; not HP. Very sorry for your troubles but just remember this Forum is here so you can ask questions before you try to do upgrades. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

This document came from HP, and it clearly says support for M.2 for my particular model as shown with a  check-mark.

If this particular model have some, little or none, it should be clearly noted.  Perhaps "PARTIAL" instead of a check-mark.  Or "SOME" as you stated.  A check-mark is not the same as "PARTIAL" or "SOME" support, at least from my point of view.  I've seen other charts that says clearly and some with footnotes in it. 

I can READ and there is no reason to bother HP forums for those little things when I have the proper documents.

Is there a buy-back program?  I still have my receipt and would like to get my money back so I can buy one that ACTUALLY has M.2 slot.

HP Recommended

You've had it how long?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.