Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

I listed my computer info below.  I seem to have a problem with my USB ports not indicating that they are USB 3.0.  There are 4 total USB slots available, none of them are "blue" to indicate USB 3.0.  Two are on the left side and two are on the right side.  There doesn't seem to be any on the back or front.  They are located towards the front (away from the screen) of the computer.  There is a tiny hole near where I would assume the motherboard is located, but I haven't seen anything that would fit in it, is this some kind of new hub?

I have been plugging in various usb drives, WD Passports and old SSD and regular previous computer harddrives that I have placed in housing to use as extra storage.

When I plug in any device that makes use of a USB 3.0 port, I am getting a "This device can perform faster if you plug it into a USB 3.0 port".  I have ejected the drives and tried every port on the computer, but still get this message. I was under the impression that at least two of these ports are USB 3.0.  Am I mistaken?  Why else would the computer ask me to plug it into a USB 3.0 port if I didn't have one?

Any suggestions?

The detected result of Windows 7 Manager - System Information v3.4 (Mainboard)

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

Product: 1965

Bus Type: PCI; ISA

On Board Device

Bus

PNP_BUS_0

Bus Type: PNP Bus

Bus Number: 0

PCI_BUS_3

Bus Type: PCI Bus

Bus Number: 3

PCI_BUS_0

Bus Number: 0

PCI_BUS_9

Bus Number: 9

PCI_BUS_1

Bus Number: 1

IDE Controller

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 2

Intel(R) 8 Series SATA AHCI Controller - 8C03

System Slot

System Slot (J5C1) - Available

System Slot (J6C1) - Available

System Slot (J6C2) - Available

System Slot (J6D2) - Available

System Slot (J7C1) - Available

System Slot (J7D2) - Available

System Slot (J8C1) - Available

System Slot (J8C2) - Available

Motherboard Interface

USB

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 - 8C26

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller

Serial Port

Parallel Port

1394 Controller

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Rellwood 

What is your HP Envy ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP ENVY 17-j020us Quad Edition Notebook PC

Sorry, just got this message.

Also, I bought this computer from my "computer guy" who has had a family computer repair and service store for years.  It was an open box that he hunted down for me from another dealer.  My computer needs were difficult.  I needed a powerful laptop with a 17" screen that could run Windows 7 natively and had multiple USB 3.0 ports.

He said that this fit the bill.  Although I am noticing the ports don't have that blue color indicating them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.