Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - m6-aq005dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen this question posed alot, with never a solid solution.  

HP Envy X360, Product# W2K41UA#ABA.  Win10 64Bit

I tried a bunch of solutions posted here.  Check the AC Adapter center post, seems fine.  Installed and ran the HP Support Assistant.

Results for battery were OK.  Age was 399 days, Status was 80.

Installed the newest BIOS (June 30/17) available (F.28) on the system board (81AC 53.27).  Rebooted, tried a supposed hard boot with the power button down for a minute.  Blew air into that port. Nothing made any difference.

It doesn't render the laptop at all unuseful, but instead of working on it and being able to unplug and work further on a 100% charge its stuck wherever it was.  So I have to force sleep it to get the battery up to 100%.  Sort of annoying.  Doesn't have a removable battery either.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi! @Ryankenn, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are getting plugged in not charging error on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.

Try calibrating the battery and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to calibrate battery on your PC.

Also, Try the steps recommended below.

First of all, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall.

When the uninstall is complete, shut the notebook down, unplug the AC Adapter.

start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shut down the notebook again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook to see if the issue persists.

If the issue still persists the DC-IN jack must be reassembled to resolve the issue.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did try the removal of those devices in the Manager as well with no issue.  I'll try the calibration, and if worse comes to worse I guess I'll have to buy a cheap adapter to try a different one.  If neither of those work I guess I'm up the creek.

I can't do the long version you typed out as I pointed out, this model has a fully enclosed battery.

HP Recommended

@Ryankenn

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I understand your concern, however, before you get into purchasing new parts, I recommend you run a battery test while connected to the charger: 

Click here to know more

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the test, it passed.  It also said the Adapter passed.

This is definitely a hardware issue, either inside or the adapter.  I reformatted the laptop using the factory image and the problem persists.  Its plenty easy to try the adapter but much harder to get inside this particular laptop to mess around with the battery.

I can always use a backup adapter anyways, over the years most have failed leaving me in the lurch for some period.  If its not the adapter then I have to decide what to do.  As it stands it doesn't affect the operation too much, it only presents a problem working off battery for any period, then continuining to work on AC power.  It doesn't charge any so I have to have a period of downtime for it to do so before I can be off battery again.

HP Recommended

@Ryankenn

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I understand your concern and if you are certain that this is indeed a hardware malfunction,

I recommend you contact HP to set up a service to either repair/replace the defective components:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OP, this exact same issue happened to me, and I had to hard reset my Envy every couple of days to get it to charge over several months this year.  I did all kinds of steps, install, uninstall, BIOS, etc.  

There must have been new drivers with one of the latest Windows 10 updates, because my issue "went away."  It may be worth checking to see if you have the latest operating system.

HP Recommended

Well the "fix" HP provided solved the problem for approximately 5 months. When I got the laptop back the only thing that look to have changed was they provided a new AC adapter.  The paperwork and email that accompanied the fix did not outline what they did.

Now I have the virtually the same problem again already.  Plugged in and in Windows it won't charge.  If I put the laptop to sleep it will charge, but only to 78%.  I opened a new claim but since my laptop went out of warranty between the last fix and now, I'm stuck with paying them to fix it, which is a joke.  I went out on my own and bought another new AC adapter and while it charged briefly while on, it stalled out as well, this time at 81%.  Even in sleep it won't charge any further.

Very frustrating to have a great laptop totally handicapped by an issue like this, that was supposedly fixed and has come back so quickly.

HP Recommended
Surely what is wrong with this model of the hp? My friend and I are strugling with the same problem. I will try upading all the drivers using driverpack and hopefully the problem will stop as it was the case for Treybuchet. But for sure I feel you Ryannkenn. It is very frustrating and thank God i still have my old acer laptop. I would have been in serious trouble because I work online hence need a reliable laptop.
HP Recommended

I was able to solve the problem by going to my computer, device manager, and uninstalling both the ms AC adapter and the MS ACPI-compliant control method battery. Then I restarted the laptop and it is okay now. All the best.I was able to solve the problem by going to my computer, device manager, and uninstalling both the ms AC adapter and the MS ACPI-compliant control method battery. Then I restarted the laptop and it is okay now. All the best.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.