Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have found a temporary fix for this problem and I can get the battery to charge temporarily.  With the computer on and power cord plugged in, I simply hold down the power button for 7 seconds and release it.  The blinking white light turns orange indicating that it is charging.  Unfortunately the light starts blinking white after the battery is fully charged.  However, I can get it to charge again whenever I need to by holding down the button for 7 seconds again.  I'm not sure what is going on, but there is a bug somewhere in the software, it is not the battery or the power supply  (they both checked out fine with the diagnostics).

HP Recommended

HP Envy x360. 

I have always had my laptop plugged in. Never use it on battery power. After a windows update I got the "0%, plugged in not charging" message.  

Updating the BIOS worked.  

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00042629 

Laptop rebooted but did not fix the problem, but later when I started my laptop up I got a message about BIOS (panic set in that I had now messed up the laptop). But it booted correctly and issue was fixed. It showed "72%, 40 min to full charge".

HP Recommended

I'm amazed to stay this works! Holding down the power button for 7 seconds restored the ability to charge! Thank you so much for sharing this, I tried a few of the fixes and nothing was working and I was worried we would have to find outside help. My wife uses this computer for school on a daily basis so any amount of downtime is super inconvenient. I'm hoping other people find this and this obsure fix works for them. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Worked for me on this particular recurrence of the issue and so quickly too, in the past after an update when it happened I hate to update the bios or run update tools to fix it and although I have no idea how long this fix will hold,  the laptop is charging again, so thanks

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solid solution?

I bought a new HP Envy 360 in 2017. My Warranty JUST expired in Nov 2018 and now this month I began having issues. This is what's happening: My computer says "plugged in not charging." When it is off it will charge but if it is on and in use it won't charge. If I plug it in while running on battery power and the screen is on, it will abruptly shut down. I read that I can update the bios and fix this. I tried it and that didn't work. I read that I could uninstall the driver for the battery and the power cord, but that didn't work. I read that I could take the battery out and hold the battery down for a full minute and that didn't work. So then I did just that but also tried the driver thing in 2 different particular orders based on 2 different articles I read... nothing has worked.

HP Recommended

Hey Bckybee33, I wish I had a solid answer.  I previously tried all the things you have tried to no avail.  I had bought a new battery and everything.

However, ever since my last post I have had no further problems, which is why I’m thinking a windows 10 update might have solved the issue, or maybe an HP update.  The problem is I can’t tell what was the difference,  it just “started working” all of a sudden.

So make sure you have the latest updates from Microsoft and/or HP, and I would take a break from reinstalling the BIOS updates, drivers, etc. as that never seemed to be the actual problem and just takes you down the rabbit hole.  It seems that a software update that was transparent to the user was the issue, but I can’t say how to diagnose that other than wait for the next set of updates.

HP Recommended

I do have the same exact issue and it just happened when my battery suddenly died at 20% although I set it up to hibernate when it gets low and there was a safe minimum level. After I plugged it while off for an hour or two, I tried to start it and it started till I opened my system then suddenly went off again (battery empty!). I waited and charged it again and started it later and everything was working perfectly except that battery is hardly charging at all when plugged! It is super weird! It used to charge fully in less than an hour, not it seems it takes a couple of days always plugged to charge %50. There is a huge bug and I think it is driver related! please help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.