Gpwoman
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy dv6 laptop will not charge battery

HP Envy dv6 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My laptop will not charge my battery. I ordered a new battery and when I use my ac adapter to plug it in to charge the white light on the side of the laptop turned orange. The AC adapter will work the laptop fine as long as the battery is not in it, the original or the new one. 

4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
40,737 40,524 6,358 11,085
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Need full model number...lots of DV6s going back quite a few years. Where did you get th enew battery? Is it genuine HP or a "compatible" 3rd party thing? 

0 Kudos
Gpwoman
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

[content removed]

0 Kudos
Gpwoman
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery purchased from HP recommended 3rd party provider.  Both the original and replacement batteries led charging light indicator turns orange when plugged in.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
40,737 40,524 6,358 11,085
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still don't have model number, which would be helpful. You might try a hard reset. Remove AC power and battery, hold down power button 20 seconds, wait 10-20 seconds and plug in just AC adapter, then turn on. You can also try going into device manager and remove the battery as a device then reboot to let drivers reload. These are extreme long shot efforts. The likely cause is a failed charging circuit on the motherboard. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation