Did you mean: 
Spudy101
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy turns off when unplugged and won't turn on unless plugged in

Hi,

I have recently purchase (5 days ago) a HP Envy 15-J151SA, but its started to play up already. I had used my laptop yesterday at uni and had run the battery down to about 15%, so I plugged the power pack in as normal and charged the laptop to 100%. When I came to unplug the charger, the laptop just instantly turned off without warning. I thought this was very odd until I tried to turn the laptop back on to no response at all, no lights, no flashing, no nothing. I thought I'd plug the charger back in again and as soon as I plugged the charger in the light on the power button flashed oncw and then when pressed the laptop loads as if nothing had happened. Obviously when I load up apps such the internet and MS Word it says it wasn't closed properly and asks if I want to restore where I left it at. 

I have looked at other forums who have suggested battery tests (which come back as ok) and tries to recalibrate the battery but this hasn't solved anything, I have tried use the reset function (hold power and the beats button) but I don't have a beats button. It is all up to date with Windows and HP updates.

Obviously being a student I paid good money for this laptop and haven't got the time to be messing around taking back to PCWorld where I bought it from.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks Spudy101

5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 956 2,198
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Spudy101 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Tags (1)
James88
Level 2
13 11 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if new or in warrently send it back! You can use receipt or bank statement as proof of purchase. If out of warrenty buy a new battery from ebay or amazon.

0 Kudos
phillycheese19
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had my HP Envy for about 15 months, and had the exact same problem starting last night.  I called the support phone number, and they successfully diagnosed the issue and are shipping me a replacement battery free of charge even though I believe my warranty has expired.  

I had to work through the phone help menu, and the call took a little while, but I was very happy with the service.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 956 2,198
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @phillycheese19 , @James88 ,

Shout out for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
markatberkley
Level 2
19 11 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and I've also had my HP envy for about 15 months. This is ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation